Monday, June 26, 2023

MONDAY MUSINGS AND MISSING A TWINKLE..


One of my most favorite men left this world Friday night peacefully after complications from a stroke. He will be laid to rest today in a private ceremony followed by a public service at his beloved Temple B'nai Israel. He touched many lives so I know the sanctuary will be full.

Not many can leave a legacy like Phil Kaplan in his 85 years of gracing this planet.

Oh, how I will miss that twinkle in his eyes...


A Harvard grad with a law degree from Michigan, his northern accent was still noticeable even though he moved to Little Rock as a Civil Rights attorney in the late 60's and started the first integrated firm. 

Phil Kaplan was a civic leader who served on numerous boards lending his efforts and was duly recognized for his community work in both our Jewish and secular communities. He was a role model to me and so many others in his activism and humanitarianism.

Oh, how I will miss that twinkle in his eyes...

As a teen he taught me in Sunday School that the questions one asks are just as important as being able to have an answer. This served me well in both my studies and personal interactions in a myriad of social and cultural settings.

More recently Phil Kaplan shared his knowledge as a guest lecturer in one of the senior LifeQuest classes I attended with my Father. He was still teaching and we were still learning.

Oh, how I will miss that twinkle in his eyes...

He was highly respected in his field by his peers, clients and the general public...



 

Lawyer of the Year Badge - 2014 - Appellate PracticeLawyer of the Year Badge - 2013 - Litigation - First AmendmentLawyer of the Year Badge - 2012 - Appellate Practice...

And in researching  his accolades I discovered he was recognized in The Best Lawyers® in America 2023 for work in:

Bet-the-Company Litigation

Civil Rights Law

Commercial Litigation

Employment Law - Management

First Amendment Law

Litigation - Banking and Finance

Litigation - First Amendment

Litigation - Health Care

Litigation - Labor and Employment

Special Focus: Management

Over the years it was always a treat to see him and his wife Ruthe of 67 years on my visits home and when I moved back home whenever our paths crossed,  I would always be greeted with that sincere outreached hand that pulled you in warmly for a peck on the cheek. He was genuine.

Oh, how I will miss that twinkle in his eyes...

I do believe the last time we saw each other was at his good friend Sam's funeral service. I babysat for both their families.  After our customary hello, I watched from my seat as others went up to greet him because he was now in a wheelchair not looking as strong as the last time I had seen him... 

And today we will be honoring his memory. A life well lived and loved- Phil Kaplan, you will always hold a special place in my heart and yes, I will definitely miss that twinkle in those eyes... 

"


No comments:

Post a Comment