Tuesday, March 3, 2020

WHAT A CROCK...

Last year it was a spring rain that melted the snow and left us stuck on glare ice on the first hill of our driveway...

This year a clear driveway after a couple warm days greeted me early Thursday with a dusting of snow. Hiding beneath the snow,  an unexpected small patch of black ice awaited. 

I had just successfully maneuvered my way up to the chicken coop and back down the icy snow crusted path stepping back onto the road. After 3 steps, I was down face forward, seeing stars, feeling as if I had been sucker punched...

My right knee had hit first as I landed on top of the emptied chicken garbage ceramic crock held tightly in place with my right arm next to my chest.  I gasped while the pain seared my sternum area and rolled slowly onto my back, staring up at the morning's blue sky. 

Balto was covering my face with licks. Patting him and explaining to him as much to myself the plan was to just lay there and do an inventory of possible broken pieces... 

Somehow, the crock was still whole, both feet moved without pain as did my arms, my hands were stinging but it was my chest that screamed.  Thank goodness for the big, old down coat for cushioning me somewhat with my cell phone within one of its pockets... If needed, a phone call could wake my sleeping Natureman who otherwise wouldn't awake for another good half hour...

After a couple of painful deep breaths and what seemed an eternity, I rolled over on all fours, righted myself and gingerly made my way back to the house; washing the cuts on my hands, applying aloe, ingesting tylenol and laying down with ice packs placed on my knee and the right side of my chest. It smarted somewhat awful... The ice packs would keep the swelling down but there would be some good bruising for sure. It was important to move to prevent severe stiffness.

I did place a call later to the urgent care nurse who filled in important suggestions and information.

Hope you never need any of this advice but in case you do: 

Add ibuprofen to decrease swelling in addition to tylenol which  alleviates pain...

Keep icing first day to keep areas from swelling but second day 'alternate' with hot compresses to aid in blood flow...

No more binding.  Wear something loose, as it's been found that binding impedes lung air flow. 

It's important to also take deep breaths, not shallow quick breaths,  helping lungs to expand and stay open, avoiding being more susceptible to pneumonia.

Do move but don't overdo. Your body has just been traumatized it's going to take a while to heal. There will be bruising.

If after 72 hours you don't feel better, go in for x-rays.

Update: Knee turned yellow, hand wounds scabbed over, right chest dark bruising going through a rainbow of colors. Pain's down to a 4-5. 'Could have been a lot worse...

Chicken garbage crock has been refilled. 



 What a crock!

I 've told you before and I'll tell you again - For being such a peaceful place, there's never a dull moment here in the End of the Rainbow Valley...







No comments:

Post a Comment