Monday, April 14, 2014

Sacrifices... Tis the Season

We feel pretty special having had a week of 60 degree temps helping melt all that remaining hillside snow  ... we won't mention the hail storms on Saturday and now 3-5 inches of predicted snow.

I have a lot of food awaiting company for the Seder so I sure hope they can make it out to the End of the Rainbow Valley... 

Even with his cold Natureman got out to work on the driveway to fill a huge rut caused by all these rain showers. He postponed chores as long as he could and then went to investigate the status of the road. He was going to need some sustenance in order to dig ditches to divert some of the water for the next downpour.  So, lunch came first, followed by playing his Scrabble games. Once he got out to the road he didn't have long at digging before the rains started again. Let's talk sacrificing his health...

This is all that's left.
Then with the temps dipping, it was time to light the fire to not only provide his preferred method of heating but actually to light up the night. Yep, we lost electricity. 

Wait, do you remember how that wood pile looked when we started the heating season? 



Last summer's wood pile



We've made  quite a dent in the supply of 7 cords. 


We are down to barely one left.

OK, back to the loss of electricity on our date night of TV in the middle of 'Midwives' and 'Mr. Selfridge.' Sacrifice again.

Fortunately, I hadn't waited for cleaning/cooking. I did set the table by candlelight. Then it dawned on me, what if we didn't have electricity to heat everything up? Oh yeah, the wood stove in the old house. The sacrifices we will make...

Oh, I forgot I needed one more egg boiled for the Seder plate. With the electricity came back on, I put a small pot of water on the stove with the egg and totally, yes, totally forgot about it.


I went to bed exhausted until I awoke panicked this morning remembering the egg to a truly roasted egg and pot. We are so lucky that I didn't burn down the house as that sacrifice might have been way too much.



The exhaust fan's on but I don't think I should open the doors, 
do you?


* I must add as I have used the word 'sacrifice' tongue- in -cheek in this entry, our hearts go out to those who gave the ultimate sacrifice and  lost their lives yesterday in Kansas City to a 70 year old gun wielding man for no other reason than answering "yes" to his question of being Jewish. Some sacrifices are too big.

"May the time may not be distant dear Lord that hatred will cease and we may all live together in peace..."



1 comment:

  1. The news of the shooting in Kansas was shocking. Your forecast is not pleasant. It's cold here in Indiana as well with wind blowing and rain coming. Pete's worried about the water hoses and tanks, so we're probably off to Walmart soon to pick up some heat tape and stuff to be ready.

    ReplyDelete