Tuesday, February 6, 2018

ALWAYS A SOUTHERNER AT HEART...


The other day I took a quiz about understanding southern vocabulary and was relieved to score a 100% which was enough verification I hadn't forgotten my Southern roots after all this time up North.  The thing is I do have wintertime as a constant reminder that I didn't grow up here in the Midwest.  Nasty winters of extreme cold, snow, sleet and ice differ since none of the fore mentioned just melts the next day...

Of course, public main streets in town have sufficient snow equipment for sanding and clearing. It always amazes me how clear city streets can be. Yet, when one lives in the countryside winter can sometimes feel very confining. There are days this southerner would prefer not to face winter driving especially since living in a valley with limited sunshine our mile driveway tends to have some icy spots before reaching blacktop.  I always take a breath of relief when I reach the mailbox a mile from the house...


A new light snow on top of those icy patches is enough to give one a false sense of  security with hopes of some traction but one really never knows until the brakes are applied.  I've learned to go slowly, (we're talking like 20mph, I know barely moving) as some curves/ hills can end up into deep ditch beds as ice can have a mind of its own.  Tapping brakes lightly when gaining too much speed can be a tricky proposition.

Winter also limits visitors which I totally understand. It is dark after five and with no street lights even darker. Since I'm host for book club this month, arrangements had to be made outside of the End of the Rainbow Valley and if weather takes a turn for the worse, I might need to have an overnighter in town. 


Our tractor with the plow has been in the shop awaiting repair for a while now and with the kindness of being plowed a couple times by neighbors, this ice is going to need some serious sanding. Natureman has hand sanded but we are going to have to call in reinforcements. The icy conditions are not going to get better anytime soon and this Southerner is going to go stir crazy. Cross my heart, that won't be a pretty sight...

No comments:

Post a Comment