Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Dance as if Noone is Watching

Ironically I have been thinking about pink ballet slippers when  in today's mail arrived the Milwaukee Ballet season's 'Ballet and Beyond' schedule.  I viewed the pages of the costumed ballerinas donning their beautiful ballet slippers.  Truth be known I have this thing about pink ballet slippers because I never had my own and always wanted to take dance with my friends... but that was not to be, considering my week was already full of other activities. And my parents never offered dance as an option.

I guess that's where that saying goes that one lives life vicariously through one's children.  Fortunately, I was blessed with a daughter who always loved to dress up and probably the dance/ gymnastic class appeal were the leotards, tights and slippers for her too.  It was a past time not meant to be a vocation but to teach coordination, self confidence, poise and a sense of timing besides performance skills. She joined a theater troupe one summer. It wasn't until then that I realized the power her dance had to move me, not just as a parent but also as a spectator.

Daughter  Lori (Center)
So it was with great pleasure to discover the Y here offered a dance class for littles and 4 yr granddaughter Kylie was partaking. Recital time's nearing so I got to observe an 'open' practice. There Kylie sat in the same gear of pink tights and pink ballet slippers. Some things never change.
Future ballerinas, who knows?

You know when they are that small anything they do is cute... and each was certainly doing their own thing. 

May Kylie always cherish her pink ballet shoes and enjoy dancing to her own drummer...

Yeah I know there are adult beginning ballet classes but I think at this stage in my life I'd rather enjoy others in their pink ballet slippers.

Rest assured if you catch a glimpse of me in the End of the Rainbow Valley pretending I'm a ballerina you know I'll have on my pretend pink ballet slippers... 









2 comments:

  1. I could just picture you as a ballerina....pink slippers and all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I've mentioned a few times that my mom tried the dance lessons for me but knowing me as an adult I think you can imagine what it was like for me as a little girl. Let's just say we always went on vacation the same week as the recital. However, I have the sweetest photo of Maggie from her dance class. And I'm thinking Gaby will be a wonderful little ballerina. Let me know when the recital. I'll be there.

    ReplyDelete