Wednesday, July 24, 2024

MIDWEEK MUSINGS: MAKING MEMORIES

 Before leaving for the west coast, an email arrived from some couch surfers visiting Little Rock who didn't need lodging but wanted to find things to do while they were in town and did I want to meet up. 

Since my absence would prevent me from joining them, I compiled  a list of places to go since they had both a car and bikes. We also made a date to meet upon my return to go on a picnic.

Well, this almost 70 year old had a delightful outing with this young couple from St. Cloud, Minnesota ( not that far from my old stomping grounds the End of the Rainbow Valley ). Another one of their housemates also joined us. She is from Verona, Italy. The three are in town to work at our local hostel. 

When inquiring as to food possibilities, the couple informed me they are vegan and could bring their own food. No, I insisted, they would be my guests. Yet, doing a vegan picnic was stretching my cuisine with a big learning curve as not all stores carry the products needed.

The farmer's market and Trader Joe's helped me with the veggies but it was Whole Foods that came to the rescue for the vegan mayo and non- dairy products like sour cream and cheeses.

Our setting of being at the Old Mill was well received as was the picnic.  (I will post the Mexican Street Corn salad recipe under this week's past Monday Musings.)

The world became a little smaller Monday and we are all looking forward to getting together again during their month stay. You are never too old to make new friends regardless of age...




No comments:

Post a Comment