Sunday, November 22, 2020

MONDAY MUSINGS: C D B VS CDC

Monday Musings have to do with our younger generation's love affair with texting and acronym'ing everything possible. LOL. In fact, I'm  really wondering if the the next generation will even know how to spell. 

I was thinking about a book we had in the house when my daughter was in kindergarten by the Caldecott Medal-winning New Yorker cartoonist William Steig. He, my friends was preparing us for this texting phenomena by using just the alphabet letters as words to convey a sentence.  Do any of you remember his children's book C D B from the late 80's? A later edition added more color. Below is the original front cover.



Do you C D B? S E-Z? Right? All the pages could be deciphered by these one letter words. But even back in my Dad's age there was an old poem he taught me written in autograph/year  books. See if you can read it .  

Y  Y  U  R,

Y  Y  U  B.

I   C  U  R

Y  Y  4   me.

Could you decipher it ?

(Two y's) Too wise you are, too wise you be. I see you are too wise for me. 

What I am afraid of is perhaps many who may be that 'y s'  may have forgotten that some word abbreviations/today's acronyms actually represent words.  Specifically the letters CDC. You know CDC, our nation's world reknowned Center for Disease Control and 'Prevention'. Maybe the P should be emphasized as the CDC, Center for Disease Control, based in Atlanta,Georgia, has issued a statement saying:

 "No travel during the holidays, stay home."

 "Anyone who has not lived in your household for the last 14 days should not be considered a member of your household." 

 "Regardless of where they’ve been, if they’re coming home and they haven’t been living with you, you definitely need to take precautions. Having their own bathroom for someone who is spending the night, for example."

Well, some of you got it as in understood it but if not, may get it/ give it , 'it' referring to COVID-19. 

Dr. Fauci is urging Americans to "think twice" about traveling and having indoor gatherings for the holidays...

Please stay home and be safe. 

N-Q.


No comments:

Post a Comment