Monday, October 19, 2020

MONDAY MUSINGS: APPEARANCES & SENSES

 Eventually it was bound to happen, the very dreaded thing,  the thing we have been working so hard to avoid. And people can be asymptomatic, right? Let me back up.

Natureman usually makes breaskfast on the weekends (when he feels like it) so when he announced on Friday, no less, French Toast would be on the menu Saturday, it was with great anticipation I awaited his almond flavored French Toast. ( BTW it's not that I can't make it, it's just  one of "his" dishes) and we usually do our own thing for weekday breakfasts since I get up so much earlier.  

Sure enough Saturday morning when after starting the coffee maker, he asks if I would still like French toast or how 'bout waffles?  Well, I don't know about you but when you're looking forward to something, a substitution just won't do, "French Toast, please," I answered. 

N:"Okay, just checking. "

I continued working on my puzzle and when breakfast was ready, he called out, " It's ready , come and get it while it's hot." He had all the fixings on the kitchen island. He likes his French toast with butter and maple syrup and for some reason he even added raspberry preserve. My preference is  raspberrry preserve with powdered sugar on top. ( Some folks refer to it as confectioner's sugar.)

He had poured me a cup of orange juice which I grabbed after fixing my French toast and headed to the table to sit down. He had already started eating. 

I was sooo ready to chow down as it's been a while since we've  had French toast. I cut my first bite but I didn't taste that special almond flavor. I took another bite and questioned whether he had forgotten to add the almond. " 

N: "No," he quips, " I added it." 

Me:" Do you taste it in yours? 

N:" Oh yeah."

 Then I realize at bite number three doesn't even have the raspberry jam taste. There's nothing, absolutely no flavor. The powdered sugar isn't even sweet.

Eyes widened as I look at him and utter "you know what no taste means? "

We ALL know that one of the unusual symptoms of COVID 19 is the loss of taste. My mind was already racing...

N:"But how could that be?  You haven't been around anybody, right ? "

Me: "Well, " I hesitate, "On Wednesday when I dropped you off at the hospital for your appointments, remember I went for a walk with ___? I really can't believe this." 

N:"Wait, didn't you wear masks? Weren't you 6 feet apart at all times? "

Me:" Of course we wore masks! " pregnant pause, "but we weren't always 6 ft apart."

N:  "Now, I'm going to get it too."

Me:(I'm starting to get panicky)" Seriously? That's not fair, everyone forgets and gets closer than the 6-10 feet of social distancing. Well, I feel fine right now but maybe I won't tomorrow."

I was devastated. As hard as it was I swallowed the last piece of French toast. My appetite had definitely waned....

There was nothing that could be done... I would just have to await the next symptom of the virus to rock our world. 

Natureman looked at me and asked what I was thinking. 

If looks could kill. I got snippy, "What do you think I'm thinking?"

N:'Bout the virus?

Me:Yeah, 'bout the virus, falling silent as my mind went off to lala land and the couch to sulk and work on my mindless jigsaw puzzle.

Natureman moved his plate and silverware to the kitchen as he began picking up the kitchen mess, a giant "Oh " comes from the kitchen.

Me: "What are you Oh'ing about? "   

Quiet from the kitchen. 

N: "That wasn't powder sugar, it was cornstarch."

Let me explain most of our kitchen staples are kept in Tupperware containers. The cornstarch and powdered sugar are in the same size tupperware and same lower kitchen cabinet but on different sides of the same shelf, Yes, they are labelled but only on one side.         


An easy mistake to make... Natureman had pulled the container from the wrong side of the shelf.   

OMG. The cornstarch had neutralized everything in my mouth thats why I didn't taste anything.

Natureman was so apologetic. We had both let our senses run amuck... 

Now we both can laugh about this innocent mistake and it certainly will be right up there with our COVID 19 stories. 

Hopefully a story, one in which all can find humor!                                                                                                               
*Let it be noted after numerous " I'm sorrys" throughout the day, Natureman did make me French Toast again on Sunday and this time it tasted great, powdered sugar and all...                                   

                                                                                                       


 


1 comment:

  1. OMG! I accidentally put baking soda in a sauce to thicken it when it should have been the cornstarch! The boes were similar!

    ReplyDelete