Monday, October 26, 2020

MELANCHOLIC MONDAY MUSINGS

It would have been nice if the weather man had been wrong about the snow fall on Sunday. Light snow showers blew in and out. Not that there was much accumulation since the ground is still warm but as beautiful as the new snowflakes are they seemed to continue the darkness of the previous, colder week... A darkness that brought with it a melancholy of sorts that a lack of sunshine can invoke.

This late Fall is a season of loss right before some of our family's  matriarchs birthdays no less. Today the 26th was the birthday shared by my mother-in-law Esther and her younger sister Aunt Bert who died right before her 104th.

My Mom's death came right before she turned 85 in a couple weeks. As she was failing my brother told her I was coming in for her birthday, didn't she want to wait for me? She simply replied "No, she wasn't going to wait." Knowing my practical, considerate Mom she probably didn't want to complicate my travels plans so I would already be there in time for her funeral. 

 COVID19 brings its own melancholy since last March family visits were postponed and it's definitely riskier here now in the rural Midwest than ever. I kept hoping for a window to be able to get together but even when it wasn't here, it was spreading on both coasts where the kids live/ South where my siblings and Dad are.  

It's going to be a long winter... Orphan Annie sang, " the sun will come out tomorrow" Well, as far as I and many others are concerned, tomorrow just can't come soon enough.

Wear those masks so it can be sooner rather than later...

No comments:

Post a Comment