Tuesday, August 18, 2020

POWER OF ADJECTIVES for WE, THE PEOPLE

Remember those parts of speech called 'adjectives?  I had a couple of staunch grammarians during my education who imprinted the importance of those 'modifiers', those 'describing' words called adjectives. We were taught adjectives will give your readers more information about the noun whether it is the subject/ the direct/indirect object. Adjectives will make your writing more interesting...  

Last night one heard a lot of adjectives if you were listening to the same program.  It wasn't my intention to watch the program but just transfer it from my phone/laptop to our Smart TV for Natureman. My intention was to go to another room and continue reading my book. 

Well, guess what?  I found myself not moving as each person on the screen shared their descriptors... adjectives like decent, respectful, experienced, courageous, passionate, empathetic, caring and resilient; a man of wisdom, dignity and integrity. His 'own' man.

These adjectives spoke of the kind of person one would want as a leader, someone to help us, We the People, find our 'common ground' again. 

The truth is those grammarian teachers didn't tell me "adjectives" could be so powerful, they could make me cry. But these did because I have missed seeing them embodied by the person now living in the White House.

Yes, it was the first night of the Democratic Convention 2020 via a YouTube Live broadcast and the man they were describing is the democratic presidential candidate, Joe Biden...



MICHELLE SAYS IT LIKE IT IS...

No comments:

Post a Comment