Tuesday, December 5, 2017

A SAD DAY IN DIXIE

My Dad is having to say goodbye to a good friend this week.  Perhaps loss is really not such a novelty when you reach your ninth decade. In fact, he actually visits this friend weekly and this loss is going to be tough for him. His acquaintances grow each time he walks through the door.  He knows practically everybody there by name and anybody sitting near him will know him better by the end of his stay.

The first time we met was 1980 and my olfactory senses were greeted by Southern fried favorites like okra, squash, corn bread, mashed potatoes with skins and top of my list, chicken fried steak, etc... When my stomach could handle the fried food, I'd order their fried (of course) chicken liver dinners.  


Well, as of midday today, the press release read the family oriented 'Dixie Cafe' would be closing its doors for good at all 14 Arkansas locations by day's end due to declining sales and increasing costs. Basically saying it's time to call it quits. Tennessee and Oklahoma will also close their locations.


I remember eating at the Black Eyed Pea as it was the original part of the chain some 30+ years ago. Rest assured I anticipated my visits home to satisfy my Southern palate. Their batter was good and I never saw anybody really clean their plate. Doggie bags for leftovers were even necessary on their Lite menu. Dad always made 2 more meals out of his chicken with marinara sauce with the advertised smothered with cheese.  If it wasn't smothered, the kitchen would soon be advised. His other love was the sweet potato side, not an every day menu item so the manager Philip put Dad's phone number on the kitchen wall. Sure enough when sweet potatoes were in  Dad would receive that call...

The climate at Dixie Cafe was more than welcoming for many families over the years.  I know my Dad will miss the wait staff who became friends and also the managers who did more than manage and created an atmosphere with more home than just the cooking...  Sorry to see you go Dixie Cafe.  



No comments:

Post a Comment