Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Full Mailbox? NOT.

It truly is easy to understand how the USPS (United States Postal Service) is having financial difficulty - Just look at the holiday mail you received this year. 

Most of you know I was one of those people that composed an annual seasonal letter. I had carried on my parents's tradition of the Holiday letter. The entire mantel wall of my childhood Little Rock family livingroom used to be part of our December decorations as it was bedecked by cards and letters from their many acquaintances.  In fact, I started my own holiday letter when I went off to college. 

Travels and life moves over the years brought many people into my life too and this snail mail correspondence was one way to keep in touch at least once a year when so many miles separated us.

My mailing list had grown to some160 names but in the last 10 years I had noticed a decrease in others sending letters much less greetings cards.  If I noticed a 5 year lapse of correspondence, I started deleting names.  The  expense wasn't the only thing that  dissuaded my desire and licking a 100+ envelopes had been replaced by self stick envelopes.  Maybe that 'time' stress added to the effort of sending so many... 

I realize some of you hate those 'form' letters but others really enjoy them. I am one who loves seeing the photos and hearing about what people have been doing.  Perhaps that's why I enjoy the social media so much.

With technology like emailing,  Facebook and blogging perhaps the letter's necessity has lessened. So, I made a decision to just wait and see who still wanted to exchange cards/ news. This year I heard from a meager dozen families. I kid you not.  

My folks even recently stopped their yearly mailings due to health. They are now making phone calls which I think is a terrific idea. Remember  "reach out and touch someone?"

This New Year it's my intention to take the time to drop each family who used snail mail, a handwritten note on one of my  photo notecards. It's the least I can do after their effort.

Whether you mailed greetings on line/via the postal service know that your wishes are appreciated. Technology has enabled us to reach out in a whole new way...

May you all be blessed with good health and happiness.
                                 Happy 2014!


No comments:

Post a Comment