Thursday, September 24, 2026

TBT: CENTRAL

TBT: Yesterday was a monumental day back in 1957. Read on to understand its importance back then. Little Rock Central High School National Historic Site is a must-see when you come to visit.

September 23, 1957

On this day 62 years ago, four African American journalists - reporters Alex Wilson of the Memphis Tri-State Defender, James Hicks of the Amsterdam News, Moses J, Newsom of the Afro-American newspapers and photographer Earl Davy of Little Rock - were attacked outside Central High School after providing cover for the Little Rock Nine to enter through a side entrance under police escort. 


Shortly after the attack near the school, Alex Wilson wrote about what happened to him on the morning and the choice he made that day:

"The disgraceful incident... occurred about 8:20 a.m. Monday, near the 16th and Park Street entrance of Central High. 

I parked my car about two blocks from the intersection. Newsom and I were in front with Hicks and Davy following, when we began the long, apprehensive walk. 

We had firsthand knowledge of where the nine stout-hearted Negro students were to enter; and we set off at a fast clip to be on hand when they arrived at the campus entrance.

About midway of the final block, we picked up a tail of two whites. They made no comment. We kept moving forward. 

A crowd of about one hundred faced the school (away from us), waiting for the nine students to appear. 

Then, someone in the crowd of whites spotted us advancing. 

Suddenly, the angry eyes of the entire pack were upon us. We moved forward to within ten feet of the mob.  Two men spread their arms in eagle fashion. One shouted: "'You'll not pass!"

I tried to move to the left of the mob, but my efforts were thwarted. I made a half-turn left from the sidewalk and went over to a Little Rock policeman, who was standing mid-center of the street. 

"What is your business?" he asked. I presented my press card. He took his time checking it. Then he said: "You'd better leave. Go on across the sidewalk" (away from the mob at my heels). 

I followed his suggestion. After taking several steps, I looked back. The officer was near the opposite sidewalk, leaving the angry pack to track me. 

The mob struck. I saw Davy being roughed up. Hicks and Newsom were retreating from kicks and blows. I stopped momentarily, as the boots and jeers behind me increased. 

Strangely, the vision of Elizabeth Eckford, one of the nine students, flashed before me as she with dignity strode through a jeering, hooting gauntlet of segregationists several days ago. Maybe, too, my training as a U.S. Marine in World War II and my experience as a war correspondent in Korea, and work on the Emmett Till case [a young African American boy who was lynched in Money, Mississippi, for whistling at a white woman] influenced my decision during that moment of crisis.

I decided not to run. If I were to be beaten, I'd take it walking if I could - not running."

Special thanks to Facing History and Ourselves (the Wilson article) and Indiana University Archives (Wilson photos taken by Will Counts).

U.S. Department of the Interior National Park Service s

No comments:

Post a Comment