Wednesday, May 10, 2023

MONDAY MUSINGS:LOSS

 MONDAY MUSINGS: LOSS OF the MUSHROOM GUY

They say bad things come in threes but one loss is more than enough. I had three this week.

I was raised by a Dad who speaks to everyone so I come by it naturally to talk to those who cross my path. My life has certainly been more interesting for it...  Jess was one of those encounters.

We got to know each other at the Bernice Garden on Sunday mornings two years ago when I moved back and we see each other almost every Sunday when it's market time... Jess's about the age of my son who is in his mid 30's.

The subject of mushrooms brought us together as kindred spirits.  He had perfected the art of growing magnificent 'rooms and became my supplier of blue and grey oysters, chestnut, lion's mane... His business is Wye Mountain Mushroom Farm. We shared morel hunting stories and how I supplied oak logs from the End of the Rainbow Valley for plugging portobellos... 

I gladly loved helping support his business by my weekly purchases. He was a fountain of knowledge which he shared with his customers regarding not only their growth, but also how to use them and shared recipes and cooking tips. Whether it was for broth / great soups/ vegetarian meals, my meals are better from his advice. 

Jess loved the out-of-doors. When he wasn't helping other customers, we visited about hiking the Ouachita Trail and floating the Buffalo. His sidekick, Ty(?)Ty was a great, chill dog who would use the shade of the market table as his paws poked out from underneath the tablecloth. 

TyTy will miss his best bud since Jess's life was taken in a motorcycle accident on May 5th. 

In fact, I am sure all who knew Jess will miss this special soul. I know I will...

May your memory always be for a blessing Jess.

 

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully written about a man who sounds like a beautiful soul. I’m so sorry.

    ReplyDelete