Wednesday, December 22, 2021

PUTTING OUT FIRES...

Having an elderly parent who wants to stay in their home creates many challenges especially when falling begins. Dad had been able to hide some falls but bruises told us otherwise. 

I admit there was great relief for us offspring when Dad uttered the words " I hate to admit it but I need someone in the house with me." We filled in the am's and nights with 3 aides and my brother and I filled in weekends and some daytime shifts. 

Those dear souls have lasted a lot longer than we could have imagined. Part is due to Dad becoming more docile and he did want the help and company, but as you know you can't really buy company. 

Caregiving is anything but easy and we knew our expectations had to be appeased just knowing someone was in the house with him.


 It seems putting out fires is just part of caregiving (and yes they could have been the kind started on the stovetop)




Yesterday I encountered a very disgruntled father. Apparently he had awakened in the wee hours, gotten up, wandered a bit calling out
  "Hello,  hello is anyone there, am I alone?" more than once but the aide on duty was out like a light and didn't respond.

When the young aide did awaken, a conversation ensued by Dad. Now, we as his kids know when my Dad wants to make a point, one listens. He wanted help for safety sake and he was afraid. But his favorite young male aide had fallen out of his graces as he was unapologetic, stating he needed sleep during his 13 hour shift and could sleep whenever he wanted. To say this stance didn't go over well would be an understatement. 

Dad had all night to stew on it.


Time to put on the firefighter hat...

I listened and texted both the aide and copied his note and subequent texts to his boss and my brother to keep everyone in the loop. Then, I did something that's not easy for me to do I relinquished responsibility and turned the matter over to those being paid. It was up to them to work out a solution and smooth over ruffled feathers.

Today is a new day. No telling what will/ won't be on that burner. Hopefully the flames are smoldering, if not put out...


2 comments:

  1. Caregiving is certainly an adventure, kinda like a roller coaster ride! I'm with you, as my mother suffered an injury and a setback that has required a great deal of care in the aftermath. My Mom is 99 1/2! Love and hugs to you on this journey! Aura

    ReplyDelete