Friday, July 6, 2018

FOTO FRIDAY: THE SKY'S THE LIMIT

FOTO FRIDAY involves two facts- One being I take a lot of photos of the sky and the second is I tend to make greeting cards out of my photography. For my own usage some times I'll hand write a saying inside. Just recently with it being graduation month the saying "The sky is the limit"was used a lot... 

Here's what I discovered about the meaning and history of the saying. 

 Meaning is simple enough as there is no apparent limit.

One source accredits Cervantes for its origin. It was a translation from Cervantes's  Don Quixote so it isn't really that old.

 It became popular during a time of hope and optimism in this country right before WWI. The earliest it was found in a newspaper was in August1899 referring to a card game. 

"When the papers were arranged, the players got a new deck of cards, and there was not a word passed while the cards were being shuffled. The sky was to be the limit until the $50,000 was reached."

And its real popularity rose with the invention of the aeroplane and used at a later date as a title in a Fred Astaire/Joan Leslie film in the middle of WWII - 1943.

Well, you certainly still hear it being used.

Okay, back to the photo of the week. Here's that recent sky shot of optimism.



Last week's FOTO FRIDAY: RED NOSED
I can't believe nobody took me up on sending photos with red nosed folks. Hmmmm.

2 comments:

  1. Love the sky. I see Sue had a photo with red noses on Facebook....actually pink noses, but close enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. I have one with her with a red nose too...

      Delete