Wednesday, May 16, 2018

ROCK ON...

Back to the End of the Rainbow Valley where in comparison we have our own little devastation. Who knew surviving winter would only lead into unusual spring rains where we would wake up daily and just hope the next rainfall would be a normal light rain?

Thunderstorm after thunderstorm pummeled the Coulee area with numerous downpours flooding the creek and  doing a number on our mile gravel driveway. Ruts and potholes galore.

Natureman's tractor regrading alleviated some bad washes but we started losing our road. What I mean by losing our road means its sides were sliding into the ditch in a couple areas. It was time to call in the experts. 

There was a chance they could come before the weekend but another job demanded their attention. So the road crew finally arrived last Tuesday.
In came 4 truckloads full of large rock to reinforce the banks followed by a back hoe and front loader. 


My neighbor had alerted me of their arrival by text as I was in town. Not knowing if the road was passable nor wanting to interrupt progress I opted to stay in town doing errands until I heard otherwise as 7 large truckloads (translates as14 normal trucks worth) of gravel would also need to be unloaded. I did not want to take the chance of meeting a truck head on either.

Tired and needing to change before my class, I finally reached Natureman mid afternoon who told me to come on home as the trucks were away reloading rock.  I took advantage of that window of opportunity to make it in and out before their return.  

Now I can sleep a little easier knowing the next rainfall won't cut us off from civilization. But then again, maybe that wouldn't be such a bad idea, now would it?

No comments:

Post a Comment