Friday, December 30, 2022

TBT: FAMILIAR FACES

When I was in Jackson, Mississippi not long ago, I decided to go check out their synagogue gift shop to see if they had any Chanuka decorations that I could add to my collection. I didn't find any but what I did find was more precious than anything I could have purchased.

Donning the synagogue's walls were large blown-up photographs.  The man in the closest photo looked really familiar. I kept staring at it and finally decided to get closer to read its small print which read of all places, Little Rock, Arkansas.  Well, I'll be. It was someone I knew- our former Rabbi from the traditional Synagogue some 30+ years ago. He was standing by an open torah scroll with some young students by his side. Upon closer inspection, I scanned the faces and I knew the gal on the far right who was wearing her girl scout uniform very well. I exclaimed excitedly  " That's my daughter! " Wow, what a terrific surprise!

The 4 ft photographs were commissioned to capture Jewish life throughout the South. I actually remember looking at his work at the museum which used to be housed where I went to camp in my younger days. Thanks to a kind patron, the Museum of Southern Jewish Life has now been relocated to New Orleans.  

The Goldring/Woldenberg Institute of Southern Jewish Life (ISJL), a regional nonprofit serving thirteen southern states. was established in 2000, is now housed in this Jackson temple. They are proud to support, connect, and celebrate Jewish life in the South. 



No comments:

Post a Comment