Friday, September 28, 2018

FOTO FRIDAY: PERMANENT VISITOR

You know from previous postings we have had a lot of critters both invited and uninvited stop by the End of the Rainbow Valley

One particularly unusual one which I had never seen before was either suffering from smacking into a window/one of the storms had battered him on his journey. 

He was a song bird, a magnificent yellow bellied sapsucker, who spent 2 days hopping around near/on our road. Hopping as I discovered from our bird book is normal but he definitely was having a difficult time taking off, once he had landed. I was concerned we would either run over him/ one of the barn cats would think he was a new toy.

On day 2 after Natureman mentioned seeing him in the garage thinking I had placed him there for safety sake, I discovered him stuck inbetween shelving and brooms covered in spiderwebs. Knowing he needed sustenance, I ushered him back outside.   
This guy got some spider web on his head when he went into the garage. Gorgeous markings,eh?

He hopped into the grasses nearby and I provided a hollow log for some extra protection.

In the meanwhile I contacted my friend, Sue, who does animal rehab for our area and she suggested calling the humane society for assistance. It turns out she only does raptors in the bird species and the one person who was certified for song birds had moved 10 years ago.

Well, I didn't get to that call because upon checking on our stunning visitor,  he had gotten tired of struggling to survive and lay still near the log... Sad we weren't able to help him, his new home is now permanently here, buried on the hillside...

I hope this isn't a trend thinking about last FOTO FRIDAY's SOME DAYS AREN'T SO GOOD...

No comments:

Post a Comment