Friday, September 14, 2012

Going into the closet... rather than coming out

OK, so guess what this picture is. If you guessed wall paper, you are oh so right. Only thing is that I haven't seen this wall paper since I was like 5 years old. It used to cover my folks bedroom walls when we moved in back in the late 50's. I just can't believe they decided paint was a better idea, can you? :) The only thing is that until I removed their top closet shelf of all its goodies, I didn't discover that this original wall paper has remained intact way back in its small upper corner closet wall. And what am I doing in their closet?

Well, today My Mom and I tackled this main bedroom closet... For those of you who may have missed this piece of news, my Mom lost her eyesight this past August. She has spent the past month acclimating to a home she's lived in for some 50 odd years. Her navigation is pretty awesome until she gets to a closet. How do you pick out what to wear much less accessorize? This is where I come in...

Starting first thing in the am, I situated my Mom on a chair next to her bed, grabbed the step ladder and started pulling items from the closet shelves. Hey I have been watching my HGTV as the piles included piles to keep, donate, re-gift , wash and toss . Most of these items were purses/hangbags/ as my Grandmother used to call them POCKETBOOKS. (She hailed from Brooklyn.)
Boy, did these purses bring back memories as I associated some of them with babysitters. Since if I ever saw one of these beauties, I knew the folks were going out.

It wasn't difficult to eliminate the worn/stained/newer ones for which held no personal attachment for me. Every zipper was unzipped, snap unsnapped to empty whatever contents still were housed. I'd describe the contents and then we tended to have a consensus of its fate. Most ended up in the give away bag. Goodwill hit it big today especially in purses.


Get a load of some of these vintage handbags.




We didn't emliminate too much clothing today but we still have more closets to go. AND as Scarlett of 'Gone With the Wind' said so memorably "After all, tomorrow is another day..."










No comments:

Post a Comment