Monday, January 8, 2018

WINTER CASUALTIES

One winter casualty hits many women and that is the losing of an earring due to the continuous on and off of winter coats, scarves and hats. If it hasn't been you, I am sure you have been with someone who has lost an earring. In fact, just Thursday at lunch after Jazzercise our instructor bemoaned the fact she was missing a little diamond stud earring. At the very mention of losing an earring the natural instinct kicked in to reach up and assure I still had an earring in each lobe. Yep, both wire earrings were in place.

I personally had lost an earring just recently at an engagement party in the Twin Cities at a lodge and although I emailed the facility, I guess the cleaning person didn't find it as I never heard back. There was snow on the ground that evening and has snowed since so my chances aren't too good for recovery. :( 

Well, any way back to Thursday's story as I had errands to do.  First stop, TJ Maxx where I perused the entire store in addition to a bathroom break, Hallmark was next with a beeline to the annual ornaments since a friend had expressed an interest in buying some for her children's tree and the final stop before home was Savvy Consignments, a huge space with numerous cluttered rooms packed with shelving, home goods, etc...  Finally, it was time to head home as it was already mid afternoon. 

AND you know where this is going, right? Yep, as I am driving home I do a quick hair adjustment and dang, if my right earring isn't missing. I flip the visor with the mirror down and no earring. I finger comb my hair, no earring. I reach inside my purse for the last store's receipt and it's on top.  Thank heavens for handsfree calling as I verbally call that last store and describe my loss. Upon returning home, I follow up with emails and a photo besides phone calls to the other stores.

It's not that this was a super expensive pair of earrings
but unique. An upcycled inner tube rubber, snake like shape whose shape/design can be altered and a silver jump ring at its end.  See, unique, right? 

Friday morning  I awake thinking I should go back and check out my parking spaces before the consumers return. First stop, coffee house. My previous parking space was open. I scoured the white ground where if it's there, the black earring will be obvious. Despite the cold, a complete stranger joined me in the search as she knew the feeling. Inside we went as she relayed one her lost earring stories and I headed to the previous day's table, moved the chairs and table. Let me assure you, even the night sweeping doesn't get what's fallen on the floor. Yuck. But alas, no earring. 

A decision needed to be made as to head northwest/northeast for the next stop. I opted for the consignment shop. There in my parking place was a nut and bolt which may/may not be needed for a past drop off but no matter what wouldn't be great for future tires so I picked it up to leave at the cashier's desk. As I am walking towards the front door down on the sidewalk, lo and behold there I spot my earring, a little dusted with snow. I found it! What a terrific feeling. Don't you just love happy endings?





Ah, 'reunited and it feels so good...' Well, this was one winter casualty averted.

1 comment: