Monday, May 25, 2015

the Garden gate

We here in the valley really don't have a gate. There actually were 2 gates on the drive to keep cattle in at one time but that was way before I came to the End of the Rainbow Valley and all I know is I wouldn't have liked having to get out of the car to open and shut those gates all the time.

Red 'n white gate was a dump find
A couple of years ago though we actually had a little gate at the vegetable garden's entrance but it wasn't easy to maneuver the cart nor the tiller through its opening so its gate life was shortened. (Natureman had brought it home from the dump one day so no big loss.)

BUT there's one gate I really like and it's located in the small town of Alma about an hour and a half from here. When a nice 70 degree was forecast for Friday, Natureman suggested taking the Miata on a road trip to visit Alma's the Garden gate. He knew he was somewhat safe in my plant purchases since the car's trunk is awfully small.  
How are your flower beds?
Located on the third block of a Main Street corner, the Garden gate's stock is some of the healthiest plants you will see. Each year there are new upcyled planters that can come home with you/ give you ideas of flower combos. 
No end to what can be a planter...


Note purple & pink combo 
Isn't this coal scuttle/hod the cutest filled with succulents?
                                                     
My favorite plant find at the Garden gate has been a Mexican sunflower called Fiesta del Sol. Now I should know to call ahead to make sure they were out of the greenhouse as they are not the quickest to germinate. Well this year there was a new glitch. You see I am not the only one who yearns for these plants. It turns out country mice really enjoy Fiesta del Sol seed and polished off most of it this winter in their greenhouse except for 5 plants worth which weren't quite ready to bloom. No problem, I knew they would bloom. The stars must have aligned as the lovely assistant, the owner's daughter, offered to do a plant run back home to return with them on her next trip. What a sweetheart! 
My little fairy's name is Alma and she's happy in her new home.

We could fill an hour and a half with lunch and a bit of shopping meanwhile. Hey, you don't have to twist my arm for either. Look at the precious new fairy I found. Notice the birdie lighted on her foot? 
Of course she would need a name... Hmmm.

Halleluyah, upon our return to the Garden gate the Fiesta del Sol plants had arrived AND all my purchases fit in the trunk!  
Fiesta del Sol in foreground in summer of 2014
It's only right to show you what this plant looks like when it blooms.
Here's a pic of the Mexican Sunflower  from last summer. Can you see why this cheery orange bloom is worth a road trip? 

After two days with some sun and rainfall here, a bud's already opening on one of the new plants. It's difficult not to being happy in this magical place we call End of the Rainbow Valley.

2 comments:

  1. You are making me long for my old gardens. However, Stephanie and I took a drive past them this weekend and they are nothing like I remember. So sad to see them neglected. They aren't even mowing the lawn, much less weeding or pulling out dead things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's too depressing to go back and visit a garden once tended by yourself.

      Delete