Friday, October 18, 2013

Change?

Does anyone ever want to see a home they once lived in changed?  Rationally one knows that individual's tastes differ but it's still hard to swallow when a new owner changes the outside appearance of the place you once called home. I found that out this past week on my most recent trip back to Milwaukee.

Whenever I find myself in Bayside / Fox Point, I drive by my past homes to not only see the place but also to check if I can find any of my old neighbors at home. Well I didn't find any neighbors and what I discovered was both homes had a new look. The Pellham Parkway house was now white. White? Seriously, white?

And since I was already on Lake Drive I took a ride down Beach Drive to see the 'Lodge' as we called it across from the Witch's House. What a shock to discover that all the beautiful huge evergreens had all been removed. I could understand wanting the lake view on the one side but that thing called 'privacy' was gone street side.  Those removed trees had to have been at least 50 years old.

I do understand removing  the old pool cement decking that I had used as seating around the gardens I had worked so hard to create...But all gone. Hundreds of work hours and dollars. Poof. Like I was never there.


The wood siding either had been stripped/replaced?


Siding used to be color of railing on porch/garage door.
Yep everybody needs to put  their own mark on their home... but now these are just someone else's houses. One day I'll return to the End of the Rainbow Valley and the same thing probably will have occurred but until then it's nice to come 'home' and have everything looking the same...

Home Sweet Home

3 comments:

  1. This is why I resist going to see the "old homestead" in Onalaska. I've heard horrible reports of how it looks and I don't know if I could stop myself from grabbing my gloves and getting to work on weeding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to see that the Japanese Maple is finally going to find it's place in the soil. It will be so happy to get out of that pot. No one likes to be confined that long. Now it can spread it's roots and prosper.

    ReplyDelete