Monday, September 10, 2012

Catch that Train...

Boy have I got a good story for you today. I got to participate in the Spanferkel Parade Celebration in Mindoro. I know you are really jealous. It is not every day that you can walk with lots of princesses. And have homemade pies and a pig roast awaiting you at the end of it! I know, I know, I don't eat pork...
Look it's really me in a pic on the far right in the turquoise Tee! Natureman wanted another body to hold a sign. It's the least that I could do after all the hours he puts in trying to make people aware of this 'unnecessary' BIG BAD power line from the Dakotas that the powers that be want to cross at the Mississippi. Our land, our home, no way was our chant.

That's not my story though - BUT I 'm telling you it was a drop dead gorgeous day to be out as we walked a mile parade route. What a sky! This's just the setting of my story...
This story has to do with this train which we passed as we had driven through town en route to set up in the park. It followed us after stopping to pick up more folks and actually ended up in front of us in the parade. I made a mental note to look for it when we needed to get back to get our vehicle after the parade. Then when the parade ended and while the multitude of townsfolk was descending upon the food, beer and pies,
(Now that's alot of pies) I asked Natureman for the car key and that I would get a ride back to the park and bring the car closer.

I spotted the train shuttle, boarded it after asking the person in front of me if it was headed back to the park to which the reply was 'yes'. Well, the strangest thing happened as we passed the turn off road for the park. Alarmed, but reassured by the gal next to me who said 'oh they'd circle around after they made the next stop.' OK it was a nice ride and I joined in the Packer banter as kickoff time was soon. BUT little did I know that the next stop was like 8 miles at the next bar... this train was a bar hopping shuttle...
and the next stop was the Black Oak Grill and Saloon -Smack dab in the middle of
G-d's country. Yep, those are farm fields. That lady must have thought I said 'bar' not 'park'. So now I am in the middle of who knows where, with a bunch of loaded people and the Packer game has just 'started. We are not going anywhere fast. Oh gee zoopers now what am I going to do? First, I went to the bathroom. My Mother always taught me, Never ,ever pass up on an opportunity to use the facilities. Then I went back outside. Hey, I could always spend some time throwing horse shoes...
I have to admit despite the beautiful weather, I did go back inside to watch some of the game. I know most of the state was watching. So I started visiting with a couple of gals at the bar and they taught me how to play horse. I know, I know I haven't hung out in bars much. I had a deprived upbringing...

I explained what had happened to me, jumping on this train shuttle. One of the women said ' you got Shanghaied. Well I did it to myself. She looked at me and asked, "Well, Won't someone be worried about you?" I paused a moment thinking there was no way to reach Natureman and hey he was talking Powerline, he might not even miss me. Sensing my distress, this kind stranger offered to give me a ride back to the park and the car. I can't tell you how relieved I was to get that offer and took her up on it. Yep I got in the car with a perfect stranger... I can't tell you how many times I read my kids 'Stranger Danger.' Well it even got more interesting as we had to take a longer way back as there had been an accident but she promised to get me back and she did... Oh lordy, oh what fools these mortals be... The moral of the story is don't ever get on a train when you don't know where it's heading unless you know where it's heading unless you want an adventure...AND I never did get my piece of homemade pie.:(

3 comments:

  1. Stranger danger my patootie! You'd sleep on anyone's couch, we both know that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ssh you are not supposed to tell Queen Jester!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great story, Karen. I spent that glorious Sunday in Madison hopping about, catching Allison as she completed the WI Ironman. Whoo-hoo! My wonderful, small-but-mighty daughter did it, all 4 11/12 feet of her! She and her beau and former roommate -- and dog, Pili ("peelee," Swahili for "second," since she so resembles our wewe) -- should arrive back in NOLA around 1:00 a.m. as they drive back. Joe's 60th is tomorrow. We dined at Mimma's on Brady last night. Just us, the 8 of us, no one else there, oddly.
    See you soon??

    ReplyDelete