Monday, July 23, 2012

'Cultivating' and maintaining ... friendships

This trip's timing wasn't because I miss 100 degree temperatures but rather because it was time for a 40th high school reunion which will occur this weekend. Those stories will come at another time. Today's entry is about friendships.

I consider myself blessed with my Arkansas friendships - the kind that even when you don't see each other often, you can pick up where you left off. These friendships resulted from life's different venues.

First, there are school friends. And this is where Facebook served as a conduit to rekindle even elementary school friendships. Kaye is one such friend from over 50 years ago. I thought that there was nothing better than to go spend the night at her house as a kid. We were always giggling.
We didn't giggle as much this visit but we did share a great afternoon catching up while Shep, Kaye's hubby, Kaye and I made a Chinese lunch of dumplings, onion cakes and bok choy. Kaye exemplifies the 'epitome' of my Southern homeland. Her home exudes charm as her sign attests.

During my high school years Chris and I were so much alike, we would even like the same boys.
We even like 'saling' and spent this particular afternoon's visit together in antique stores. Here's a steeple we found... We just couldn't decide who would take it home. Chris was always busy with a different craft. I will be wearing one of her latest knitted hats this winter. The evening ended up in her closet as we tried on her favorite dresses just like the old days. Chris's husband Jim was a gem and made us dinner so that we could spend our time visiting.

Then there are the friends you make through your children. Both Debbie and Becky had sons the same age as my son Steven and they went to pre-school at the Temple together. They were also in the Parent Tot Sunday School program I taught. Our boys are now 25 making our friendships over 22 years old.

Debbie always shows me the roses and acuba she planted with my consultation and we took a nice walk to catch up after a great bar-b-que sandwich dinner
Becky loves to cook and decorate.She bartered catering for this sculpture. Does that sound like someone else you know? We ate our lunch al aire fresco after a tour through the newest of West Little Rock.

Steven's preschool also brought together Bobbye and me although she happens to also be the Rabbi's wife but we sang together in Schechinotes and even travelled to Jacobs Camp for its reunion a couple summers ago. We had a nice afternoon chat on Tuesday and retired Gene joined us too. I missed getting a pic of them but I have a pic of their car's bumper. LOL

Who else would have a political bumpersticker in Hebrew no less? BTW It says Barack Obama.

Then there are friendships made through clubs/interest clubs. Lou Ann, Robin and I met through scouting. There weren't many girls even back then that continued in scouts in high school. Lou Ann being a year older drove me to the meetings and gave me my first adventure behind the wheel without a license. Sssh don't tell anybody!
The 3 of us have shared so many ' adventures and laughs and Sunday in Fayetteville was no exception as we enjoyed the Green House, Argara's crepes and a quick tour of some local sights.




Martha and I sang together as Shechinotes and worked on various gardening and decorating projects over the years I lived in Little Rock as an adult and frequented Indian buffets.
It was Martha that introduced me to Janet 20 years ago who ended up being my mentor in the Master Gardener program when she was a county agent. Now she is the state agent. (She is Arkansas's Melinda Myers.) Our friendship grew through traveling together on MG stateside and international trips. We were even roomies in England. I am looking forward to traveling for a 2013 International Master Gardener's conference Cruise to Alaska to celebrate my 60th, Irv's 65 and belatedly our 10th...

BUT the get together with Diane who I know from Wisconsin and who is now living in Arkansas and is the one who gave me that great tour at the Heifer Ranch is a great connection to my life in the Valley. See there's no way to leave the End of the Rainbow Valley for long...












1 comment:

  1. Those look like some fun friends - but I would expect no less from you!

    ReplyDelete