Friday, July 6, 2012

Air drying...

After yesterday's Jacuzzi posting you might think I am going to tell you how long it takes to air dry once you step out of the JACUZZI/ cow trough on a 100 degree day. I bet readership might increase but let's just say 'not long'/ TMI.

Nope today's posting is really about air drying clothes perhaps a 'drying' art that needs to be revived. If you travel to the ridge above us, you can spot Amish homes not only from the absence of electrical wires but by the clothing lines filled with the families's wash air drying.
The Amish are not the only ones using clothes lines even if ours in the End of the Rainbow Valley is not on pulleys but it definitely gets a lot of use. There's nothing that smells as good as linens air dried. Hanging laundry is not alien to me as my Mom always has hung out wash to dry in Arkansas. Yet the Southern humidity there tends to be so high that some things take forever to dry and I have bad memories of smelly stiff towels so I draw the line of saving our planet so that I can have soft towels as well as other items which I would like less wrinkly, ie. shirts. If I am not home and Natureman gets to the wash before I get home, I find myself with cardboard deformed underwear even though I honor his wishes to hang all his clothes outside. If I complain/comment I have to listen for the millionth time about how I am helping destroy the planet... Well I hang out more laundry than anybody else I know after living in neighborhoods with codes against clothes lines. My End of the Rainbow Valley's line isn't interfering with anybody's view but I actually think it almost is as pretty as my Amish neighbors's, don't you?

2 comments:

  1. I envy you the clotheslines. Now that I have the time I find myself making popcorn on the stove, hand grating the potatoes for hash browns and all the "old time" ways I grew up with. I would love to hang out the clothes now but almost every campground has a strict no clothesline policy. I'm not sure why...it seems to fly in the face of camping and back to nature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does seem a bit incongruous for a campground to have rules against clotheslines. Wet swimwear , smoky clothes, etc... sure could use that fresh air too.

    ReplyDelete