MONDAY MUSINGS reminds of one of Natureman's favorite phrases, one which we enjoyed immensely:'rubbing shoulders.'
Community events do just that- they allow us to rub shoulders with folks we normally wouldn't. This past weekend I sat at 2 very different tables: one at the Turkish Fest and a couple hours later just blocks away at the Greek Fest. For the last couple of years, both festivals have shared the same weekend.
The grill and fryers were working overtime, and the emanating smells made one hungry. The desserts were all so tempting too. Fortunately, I could split choices so I could sample more.
Our first table was with young families with gorgeous dark-eyed and curly-haired toddlers speaking their native tongues. Our second table at the Greek Fest was English-speaking, and I had hot Greek donuts to share. One gal was originally from California and her Bostonian rock band partner is performing in Pine Bluff. Their Asian-American friends had a toddler.
This is what the United States is, not a melting pot but a salad with all different backgrounds rubbing shoulders at a community event.
No comments:
Post a Comment