Sometimes one just has to take a chance on an unknown. Last weekend I took a chance with an Austin, Texas musical group called Big Love Car Wash. Last year they performed a house concert and 80 folks showed up. So this year their sponsors got a bigger space at Second Presbyterian Church and we filled it!
Big Love Car Wash is touted as a blend of bluegrass, folk, jazz, Celtic music, and rock. You just never know where they're going, but it works. They pulled us in with their musicality; their strings worked overtime. "Lyrics from the band’s three songwriters touch on themes of empathy, environmentalism, and community building. Even the band’s name is a verbal reference to something like a group hug."
Here are the Big Love Car Wash members with a sample clip of their skills following-
During the concert, the band introduced their sound technician who hailed from Ireland. At intermission, I sought him out to find out where he was from in Ireland. (Remember I had taken that Irish musical tour) Alas, he was from Dublin, not the southern part where I had been. But he told me he had met the band in Germany, where Big Love Car Wash had been performing. I shared my couchsurfing story of a German couple who had stayed with us in the End of the Rainbow Valley. You see, the husband was an Air Force Captain in the States teaching our Air Force boys, but he was in an Irish band in Germany. He grinned ear to ear. "Oh yes, the Germans love Irish music." We had a lovely convo!
In addition to this exchange, I met the gal sitting next to me, and it turns out once we started visiting she has had a home in Costa Rica for the last 20 years not far from where I lived last January. She is the only expat living there. I knew we were kindred sisters.
So the $20 entrance fee was certainly worth taking a chance: great music, lovely conversations, and a new bud to boot!
No comments:
Post a Comment