Wednesday, December 23, 2020

JUST WHAT THE DOCTOR ORDERED...

How's your memory these days? I bet there's one event you do remember no matter how long ago it was and that's 'prom'. Whether you went/not you definitely have some past feelings regarding that high school event... 

I had a melt down when we picked up my prom dress from the seamstress.  I was so tiny it had to be custom made and even though I helped pick out the kind of fabrics, it looked so homemade that I burst into tears... Somehow I survived, wore it and had a good time in spite of it... It was your date that mattered, right?

Today's proms left the crepe paper decorations a long time ago and themes have morphed into mini Hollywood productions.  Truly - costuming, set design, monetary investments, logistics, characters in the production. And how perfect to have this emotional event brought from its Broadway production to a film to end the emotional year of 2020 on an upbeat note!

Honestly, it wasn't even on my radar to watch what I perceived would be a teenie bopper rendition but then someone posted how much they liked it and I thought heck, if it's too hokey, just turn it off.  You could say it was just what the Doctor ordered a dose of musical theater!  Natureman and I thoroughly enjoyed everything about it.

But then could one really be disappointed with a movie with Meryl Streep and James Corden? They were definitely in their element. The entire cast was great and they delivered. No clue that Scandal's Kerry Washington sang.. Jo Ellen Pellman, the Indiana high school girl, is a truly talented gem and I can't wait to see her future endeavors! (My only negative was worrying about Nicole Kidman being too dang thin) 

Without giving too much away the storyline involves a troupe of self absorbed theater stars who need some good PR. The self proclaimed 'cultural disruptors' rally to Indiana to help a high school girl who wants to take her girlfriend to prom. Of course, 'drama' follows.  

Here's youtube's trailer. Treat yourself to NetFlix's release of The Prom: DON'T MISS IT

No comments:

Post a Comment