Saturday, February 13, 2016

ESCAPEES: PAWS IN PRISON

Say what you may about the wasted time spent on FaceBook but I really enjoy getting snippets about friends's interests and passions. Especially those pet aficionados. You can never see enough cute animal videos, can you? Well, buddy Martha must subscribe to every pet rescue site possible. Daily postings of furry faces yearning to be adopted make one think we must have room for another furry creature. It's a good thing we don't live too close to where these doggies live. BUT I got to learn up close about one of the organizations on my last trip home. 

It was a beautiful sunshiny day and I joined Martha to meet some of the special dogs up for adoption from the Paws in Prison program. There in front  a Little Rock Heights storefront housing CARE, single folks/ families were stopping by to pet and visit the newest batch of graduates from the Paws in Prison program as these graduates now need a 'forever' home.

Let me back up a bit. Animal shelters are overflowing with unwanted dogs that if not adopted meet an early death. So, a program was set up to 'save' some of these unadoptable dogs. The dogs go through a 10 week obedience course but it's not just any pet class as the twist is these dogs are taken to prison where they are assigned to preselected prisoners who will be their trainers. It's a win win situation for the dogs and the prisoners. Licensed instructors instruct the prisoners how to work with their dogs. These dogs are called 'Paws in Prison.'


Juniper, a sweet recent Mother had the most families wanting her
Sometimes some history is known about the individual dogs.The calmest, most gentle female in the day's group, Juniper, (pictured to the right) had been dropped off at a shelter as she was about to give birth to a litter. After giving birth and the litter was old enough, she was entered into the Paws in Prison. I overheard a volunteer say the list to adopt her was long. But just because someone wants Juniper doesn't mean she goes home with them. The dogs are matched to their prospective owner according to the dog's temperament and home living factors.

Rocco's awaiting someone to love him.

Here's hound dog Rocco's message:"I'm good. I'm smart. And I don't have bad breath. I do have dog breath. But not bad dog breath. I like to go on walks and smell the great outdoors. Or as much of it as I can. I'm a hound, but I won't hound you. I'm not a barking fool. People tell me all the time that I look like Elvis. Not really, but I wish they would. Because he's my favorite. Oh, and you should know that I don't like Pina Coladas. But getting caught in the rain is fine. I'm not into yoga and I do have half a brain. So please adopt me. I won't disappoint you. But I will love you. Lots and lots. Especially if you tell me I look like Elvis. Because I do."

The state does not foot the bill for Paws in Prison so it is private donations that guarantee the program's continuation. 

Look at this beauty who just needs the right home. His markings are gorgeous, tail is black. Growls when other pets approach so needs a home without competition. Gentle with the kids.
Boscoe, 15-205
Gender: Male
Age: 3 years
Weight: 64 pounds
Breed: Hound Mix
Spay/Neuter: Spayed/Neutered




Thanks to Anne Laser in Memory of Lyndae Allison For Giving Me a Second Chance!




The deal is my Dad loves dogs and taking walks and I think once his rehab is complete we need to find him a companion and a Paws in Prison graduate would be the perfect place to look...

2 comments:

  1. I've seen this on TV and it's a wonderful program. I'm not sure who benefits the most from it - it's a great solution.

    ReplyDelete