Tuesday, December 15, 2015

WOMEN BE SAFE, NOT SORRY...

Last Tuesday I was caught off guard and I made a not so wise decision. If my daughter/girl friends would have done what I did, I would have reamed them out starting with the question "Are you crazy?"

So what happened?  I had about 20 minutes until I had to go teach so I had just run inside the store to check on a particular product. It would be a quick stop. Unfortunately, they didn't carry the brand I needed. I had to go anyway, I had 10 minutes. It was almost 5 o'clock, the sun had set and it was dark. There's the setting.

Anyhow as I am getting in my vehicle and closing the door, I hear somebody talking. I start the car and am double checking traffic as I back up and there on the other side of the car is this guy walking towards my car with his hand up in the air. I open the passenger window to hear what he needed. He's wielding jumper cables and wants to know if I could give him a jump. I told him I only had 10 minutes to get to my class but where was he parked? 

He points to the upper deck area of the lot and says it's a black truck. Not thinking I say okay.  I drive in the direction where he's pointed. As I get closer, I can see a truck with its hood up. It dawns on me the area is not well lit at all... If I turn around now, I could just leave but the guy has already walked up  behind my car so through the still half opened passenger window I ask him what side his battery's on.  I know, I know this whole situation is not smart. There's absolutely no one in the vicinity. Double stupid.  I'll just pop the hood and stay in the car but he can't find the hood's release switch. Shoot, now I have to get out. He still fumbling for the latch, unlit cigarette hanging out of his mouth. "Here, I'll get it." I quickly find the release switch, prop the hood up. It's so dark I watch as he ignites his lighter to see the battery terminals and I quickly head back in the car. Stuff is running through my head like why didn't he ask some guy to help? I watch way too many HGTV movies...
I have left the car running. I hear him attach the cables to my car then it takes longer for his.

 I am 'really' ready to go. I check my mirrors. No other soul is in sight. I see him get in his car, listening for his engine to turn over.  His lights give a little flicker, but no sound. Dang. (My passenger window's still half open. ) He's counting. He gets out, goes to reconnect the cables on his end, gets back in his car tries again, the lights come on a bit longer and I hear a little more noise this time. But no luck. Dead. He explains he's had battery problems all week but it always starts.  One more try even after a longer wait. Nothing. I apologize, "I really need to get to class" because I do but also because I am scared. "Sorry" I utter, "I really need to go, good luck."

Gosh I am sorry about more that just having to leave. I am sorry to have been in that predicament/ even feeling that I should have just originally answered I couldn't help and left when he asked me. So why am I telling you about this foolish lack of judgement? 

Well in all the hubbub of the season it's easy to not stop/ think/ want to be a good samaritan. I think all women feel vulnerability and more on guard when alone. Whether it's just walking alone down a street/whatever. Men don't have to think think twice about walking to their car in a parking lot. Yes, nothing happened but it could have... All I'm saying is don't do what I just did.
Don't be sorry, be safe....

1 comment:

  1. We get those feelings for a reason and it's always best to heed them. I'm glad nothing happened to you. We've all done these dumb things once in a while and have lived to tell about it, but can't help but wonder if we beat the odds in doing so. I love to be able to help, but am so leery...I must watch the same shows you do.

    ReplyDelete