Wednesday, September 19, 2018

ATONING ...


Yom Kippur / יום כפור


Today is Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement, one of the major holidays of the Jewish year.  All my life, acquaintances have asked me about the Jewish holidays and their significance. Today is a big one and I compare it to the importance of being in church on Christmas/Easter. 

Due to the lunar calendar holidays always fall on different days in the solar calendar which creates a bit of a problem in a Christian country as most of the world still has school and work days. Yom Kippur falls on the 10th of Tishrei, this year in September, next year in October.

Being back at teaching this semester, I needed coverage a couple times for the holidays since both Rosh Hashonah and Yom Kippur fell on work days. My colleagues have covered for me for which I am truly thankful to be able to go to services and know my students are able to have class. 

So my work for today is to atone as my ancestors have done before me. From generation to generation our traditions are passed on and after 10 Days of Awe for personal reflection and repentance  by sunset tonight and the blowing of the shofar (ram's horn) Jews all over the world will break their 24 hour fast and start the new Year of 5779 with a clean slate ...  



"G'mar hatimah tova" is the traditional Yom Kippur greeting. It means "May you be sealed for a good year in the book of life" in Hebrew.

Below are a couple of links you might find interesting...
SHOFAR BLOWING
FORGIVENESS




No comments:

Post a Comment