Wednesday, May 11, 2016

HOME WITH THE CHEESEHEADS

After picking up our car in Milwaukee, I was the designated driver to head westward out of the city for our lunch stop at my favorite truck stop, the Pine Cone Restaurant in Johnson Creek. I ordered steak 'n eggs and my huge combo break fast & lunch disappeared. Sated and exhausted from 5 days of wedding activities, we switched drivers after the stop. I dozed off almost immediately, sleeping almost the entire 3 hours home. 

Upon awakening about 15 minutes from home, I turned to Natureman asking if he noticed anything different. A confused look crossed his face, I questioned, " Hasn't it hit you you haven't seen  a single car for over a couple miles?" A smile crept across his face as he had been really rattled on the congested highways in Atlanta. Who wouldn't be with 6 lanes and speeding vehicles?

The Driftless area scenery was also greener and more lush than a week ago. A sense of calm filled my soul being back home. I knew it wouldn't be long before Natureman would say he wanted to stretch his legs and go for a walk. Sure enough as soon we turned  down our dirt drive he uttered the predicted, "I am going to change clothes and go for a walk to look for morels once we are home. " We had possibly missed the mushroom's peak and he could return skunked. 

A couple of hours later as I  finished the wash, the door opened and there stood my hunter and gatherer with a bag full of morels and our garden asparagus.  

Dinner would be pasta with the fresh morels, asparagus and our homemade pesto. No five star restaurant could beat our first meal home. 

The remainder of the morels will be dried.

As much as I enjoyed being with the family and the kids's friends, there is no place like the peace and beauty of the End of the Rainbow Valley.


Home,  Sweet Home

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful photo - love seeing the Cheryl/Marti/Karen bench!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see you're back home safe and sound. I was all set to make it to shul this Saturday but see that there aren't any services. Oh well, guess I'll have to play pickleball instead.

    ReplyDelete