Thursday, February 11, 2016

WARRIOR AUNTIE?

You know what? I just may be going back to school AND I already have a roommate...
You see niece Becky needed a surrogate Mom for Hendrix College's recruitment meet and greet at Heifer International in Little Rock a couple of Sundays ago and I was glad to oblige. It was refreshing to be around so many intelligent young folks.

Prospective students and families, college administrators, staff, alumni, college students mingled over refreshments before being welcomed by the admission staff (one gal, a Wisconsin native no less) and Hendrix's relatively new President Bill Tsutsui shared his 
Hendrix President Tsutsui
first year's impression of campus life, both academically and socially to the couple hundred folks attending the meet and greet. President Tsutsui has actually job shared in many different campus positions to understand what his staff and students experience on a daily basis. This man is definitely a hands on type of administrator.

A panel of Hendrix students shared why Hendrix was a good fit for them and also fielded questions from the attendees. The small size of the school and its classes allow faculty to really get to know their students and even invite them to their homes for dinner. This family like environment is special. There are about 70 interest groups on campus and if yours is missing, you can start one. The small campus offers about 39 majors and minors and the ability to build one's own career path.

Boy, did I get excited hearing about their Odyssey program where students create a program in their area of interest which may/may not involve travel/ global experience. Students shared their favorite programs they/ friends had experienced. (i.e. going to N.Y. city and visiting artists in their studios, etc...)

I was sold and shared with my niece that whether or not she decides to attend Hendrix, I was game. Becky turned to me and with smiling eyes said "Aunt Karen you could be my roommate." I looked at her and in all sincerity replied, "I don't know, you just might cramp my style.":)

Hey if she really does go to Hendrix the 'Warriors' will be her team. Is that kismet or what? The Warriors were my mascot in High School. Wherever Becky decides to go to school, I know she will excel and be able to continue her love of tennis. 

Remember how great freshman year of college was? It was an amazing catalyst of gaining independence. 

BUT I must admit I have a concern at 50K annual tuition- Do you think Hendrix offers 'senior citizen'  scholarships?  I am going to have one heck of a commute from Hendrix in Conway, Arkansas home to End of the Rainbow Valley in Wisconsin on the week- ends...

No comments:

Post a Comment