Thursday, December 10, 2015

THE SEASON OF GIVING?

Did you know the once bottom of the middle class income for a family of 4 was $48,00 and now 67% of our population lives on less than that? A lot of folks are living on the edge, one car repair/illness away from living in poverty.

The other day I started hearing the seasonal radio calls regarding requests to help family/ friends have a better Christmas. Two $100 gift certificates are gifted to a specific grocery store and a local chain store with a huge seasonal Christmas supply of toys. These stories are of folks who are struggling to make ends meet all year round, not just at Christmas. Whether it's a family of 5 / 2 they all receive the same help. As I have reached this senior status I have learned equal is not always fair. I think about that a lot...

I probably have mentioned before how my generous my Jazzercise group is throughout the year and how we also participate in a similar type Christmas gift program by adopting a needy family or two. The family's Mom submits a wish list for her family including herself. 
Not many tags are left to claim... 
Our instructor creates the gift tags with the desired items to don a small artificial tree where those interested in participating can choose a tag/two and gift those items.The class size has grown so much  this year we might even have three families who will be celebrating a better Christmas. Since there with so many tags these requests were placed first on a large bench so we could view the items easier. This different placement allowed more of us to congregate around to view the tags. The requested items ranged from hygiene products, specific clothing sizes, gas cards to video games, etc...

I was eyeing a couple tags when I heard one of the gals (actually one of our 'wealthier' class members) comment on one of the tags I was considering, "Can you imagine asking for scrapbooking supplies? Those aren't cheap." I was taken aback. 'Privilege' couldn't speak any louder. Are we so privileged that we can't understand the need of a "comfort" i.e. hobby/interest? These folks don't have disposable incomes. OK, you know my resolve to not be silent. I looked her straight in the eye and said, "I am sure she wouldn't ask for it unless she couldn't and or wouldn't buy them for herself." I then picked up the scrapbooking supplies gift tag with hopes this Mom will actually have some time to enjoy them.


A Mom will have scrapbooking supplies under her tree this year
My heart is heavy as I think of all those who won't be helped this holiday season nor throughout the year for that matter... We should really have 4 seasons of giving. May we recognize our privilege.

1 comment:

  1. Great point. She has every right to preserve the memories of her family as we do ours.

    ReplyDelete