Monday, April 20, 2015

What Color is a Green House?

It's that time again time when some folks are itching to get back into the garden and start digging. If you didn't know I am one of those folks. This past week I've been removing all that "winter interest" alias last summer's flower bed leftovers and there's still a lot more to do. 

But when the opportunity arose to visit the Ridge with a friend to see if the Amish greenhouses were open yet, I was game. A greenhouse to a gardener is like light to a moth. 

It is still early and although the "closed" signs were out, the places were open for business. Most will open to the public on May Day.
The problem is that it's really still too cold to move plants outside here so if one's buying plants, one's going to have to baby the new purchases and keep them inside for about 3 weeks more in southwestern Wisconsin.

Upon entering the greenhouses it's difficult to resist the temptation to buy the beautiful hanging baskets. The colors were so intense and the smell of earth combined with some of the fragrant blooms served as aphrodisiacs under the warm white plastic hoop green houses. 

Many of the plants are still in their infancy and can use the extra greenhouse time. But even the solid green masses of kelly green new leaves are still pretty irresistible.  As you can see poppies were popping and some plants had blooms. 






The  new varieties never cease to amaze me.

OK I'll confess I did buy 5 small plants but I let my friend's purchases fill the car's trunk. There will be plenty of summer watering to do even waiting three weeks. I have my fingers crossed  they won't be too picked over after Mother's Day but I know it's best to wait. Grrr, I'm biting at the bit!  








1 comment:

  1. I love going into Rockwood Gardens in the early spring just to smell the soil and plants.

    ReplyDelete