Thursday, April 9, 2015

A Passover Miracle...

Some holidays are just meant for miracles, aren't they? 

Just this past Friday and Saturday Jews the world over retold the story of Passover and all its miracles: the Exodus, the parting of the Red Sea and the drowning of the oppressors, the 10 plagues,  G-d destroying the idols, sustaining the Jews in the wilderness for 40 years with water from the rock and manna from the heavens, the giving of the Torah and bringing the Jews to the land of Israel.

Some miracles are bigger than others. Wednesday, a small miracle happened in my home town of Little Rock at the Temple where I was married and my daughter was Bat Mitzvahed. You see it was the Annual Spring Senior Luncheon and my brother Marc was kind enough to ensure both our parents could be in attendance. With my Mom's loss of sight and being in the early stages of Alzheimer's outings are a bit more difficult...

My Dad had arranged for a wheel chair to be be available for my Mom to use which conveniently fit under the dining table. This special outing must have also improved her appetite as she had seconds of everything, quite a change from 3 months ago. So a special thanks to buddy Rita who helps cook at so many Temple functions. I am getting to the small miracle...

From what I have heard the Rabbi spoke about the timing of Passover and Spring. After he had finished, my Mom piped up that she would like to say something. I have heard this recounted twice once from my brother and also my Dad and their stories vary ever so slightly so this is what I know to be true... 

My Mom surprised all with a heartfelt thank you and short  
speech. She wanted everyone to know that she wishes that she could do more for them as a friend and when she gets better she will but in the meanwhile they can come visit her. Tears streamed from my Dad and there other wet eyes in the room. They said my Mom spoke not only coherently but like she had prepared a speech and practiced as she was so lucid. Maybe it's the power of being in a social situation...

Not every day can bring large miracles but even a small one can be ever so special. Today in Little Rock at noon was one of those Passover miracles... 



2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you got to experience that. I had a mini miracle recently too, but won't be putting it on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your folks are so dear! Blessings and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete