Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Moments of Clarity and Advice

A good day for my Mom depends on the previous night's amount of sleep. Many evenings she is put to bed by 7:30pm so consequently she awakens in the wee hours of the morning not realizing it's still dark outside. Her nights and days tend to get mixed up a lot which makes for really long, confused days. There were days she was really out of it.  Gee, who wouldn't be?  Then there are others where she is more alert and not dozing off constantly.

Dialogue can be very creative as the listener needs to not deny but allow the stories to unfold and repeat sometimes more than others.
There were a couple of conversations during our visit that were spot on and all the more meaningful. A very special one was initiated by Natureman as my brother Marc, Mom, Natureman and I sat around  a commons room table one afternoon while Mom enjoyed a good cup of coffee and a special snack of chocolate cream pie. She loves her sweets.

Anyhow you have the setting and here's the conversation about relationships between Natureman (N) and my Mom (M).

N: So Hildegard since we are talking about relationships, tell me what do you think it would take for your daughter to marry me?

M: Well, (long pause), the physical part is important, if you know what I  mean, (we all smiled)  but the emotional part is equally as important. 

N: What should I do to meet her emotional needs?

M: Of course you should do things together - but not just things you like to do.  You need to know what she likes to do and do them.

N: How do I know what she likes to do?

M: You need to ask her if you don't know and make a list of all these things . 

N: You are suggesting that I make a list?

M: Yes, definitely make a list. 

N: Then, do you think she'll marry me? That's up to her.

Priceless advice from a lady who has been married for 62 years.



I certainly am cherishing the moments of clarity when I know they are limited...

2 comments: