Thursday, May 8, 2014

It Takes 2 Hands to Handle the Whopper...


Many of you realize that I have Southern roots and every once in a while I get a hankering for the caviar of the South.  You know, Pimento Cheese. My last meal in Atlanta en route to the airport I had the opportunity to order that southern staple as we brunched at 'Sun in the Belly,' a Decatur eatery.  I wasn't sure how it would be to travel with a huge cheesy meal in 'my' belly so instead I ordered the bar-b-que shrimp with smoky cheese grits while daughter Lori and BF partook in the  Pimento  Sandwich with fried green tomatoes. The place is known for using local products and especially for its amazing bacon so one of the kids ordered the sandwich with and the other without. Everybody was happy with their choices. And my cholesterol went up not just eating my own choice but also by ogling everyone else's meals. 

You could request a fried egg with the fried green tomatoes pimento cheese, lettuce & bacon...
I know you can understand it always tastes better eating it in the South than in southwestern Wisconsin in the End of the Rainbow Valley... Thanks Lori for giving me a bite and if you can't get to Atlanta here's a Pimento Cheese recipe for you to try at home.

Pimento cheese is one of the all time favorites of the Little Rock Capital Bar and Grill whose chef was gracious enough to share his pimento recipe and so I pass it on to you... 



Pimento Cheese
  • 1 lb. sharp cheddar
  • Splash of cider vinegar
  • ¾ c roasted peppers, pulsed or chopped  (make sure to drain the water)
  • 2 T onion powder
  • 2  T garlic powder
  • 1 T Dijon mustard
  • ¾ C mayonnaise (Start with ½ c and add as needed)
  • Pinch of cayenne
  • Dash of sriracha
Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Adjust to personal taste. 

1 comment:

  1. I've not sampled this southern fare - it sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete