Thursday, April 21, 2016

MIA

I have an aching in my stomach as this afternoon our dog Romeo didn't return home.  He greeted me as I parked after returning from a luncheon in town and I rubbed his head and gave him a pat. I uttered my usual "How are you doing, Buddy?" and carried my stuff inside and haven't see him since. No scratching at the door to come in.

The Crawford County Humane Society foster home wisely gave him his name of Romeo, yet, we weren't sure if it was chosen because he was a lover/ that he roamed/ both. Even when he roamed, he always came home...


Romeo's snout had turned white
Living in the End of the Rainbow Valley gave him a lot of space to roam our 44 acres and onto others's land if he caught a good scent. He might have gotten caught in someone's trap/ in a briar patch. The creek that borders our property has risen and its waters are moving very quickly. He could have even  fallen in... We don't know.

I called and called his name throughout the afternoon and even drove the car in desperation while it was still light calling his name up and down our 2 mile lane and up to the highway.

Romeo's been gone 9 hours now as I write this. It's dark and we have had a couple of rain showers throughout the afternoon. Romeo hates thunderstorms but these were just light rains. My hope was that he took refuge somewhere to kept dry/warm. But why hasn't he come home?

Romeo, Romeo wherefore art thou Romeo? 

I can only think the worst and appreciate the great companion he has been for the past 12 years. Guarding the livestock and us from coyotes and other critters. He has had his run ins with raccoons, possum, feral cats and of course the occasional skunk. 

Romeo guarding the homestead this past winter.
Romeo had just finished a round of antibiotics fighting off another bout of Lymes and his arthritis has had him spending more and more time inside.  If this is really it and he has left us to go die in the woods, hopefully he went peacefully.  One couldn't have asked for a better companion. I will be still hearing his tapping at the glass doors to be let in for a long, long time. Romeo will certainly be missed here in the End of the Rainbow Valley. 

3 comments:

  1. Oh Karen, I am so so sorry to read this. It is anguish to have a pet missing and wonder if they are ok somewhere else or what may have happened. How old is he? My heart is in my throat with pain for you and what you're experiencing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have done that in the past, we have driven our car, searching, called our dog's name, involved other people in the search. It is a frantic, sick feeling. I hope he either comes home or died of natural causes somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hoping he was just out scouting and will be home soon. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete