Thursday, March 3, 2016

LISTEN TO YOUR MOTHER

A week ago I was the very first person to read for the auditions of Listen to Your Mother (LTYM).  The performance's concept is sweet, people sharing Mother stories. 


My Mom certainly left her imprint teaching me many things including how to be generous, caring and to do for others. Treat others as you wish to be treated. But that wasn't one of the stories I was going to share...

Auditions were held at the Franciscan Spirituality Center and as I walked through the retreat wing of the church some inner voice told me to switch story pieces. Stagefright? Maybe/a different kind of fear. 

The piece I didn't read was about my Mom, the Holocaust survivor. You see her childhood wasn't at all like mine.  At age 9 she had been moved around like contraband and hidden in the countryside, in barns, peasant homes and even a convent. Why? Because she had been born Jewish. Each and every time she felt some semblance of normalcy/security, someone would alert the officials of her whereabouts. She would have to be moved in the middle of the night to new hiding places. Yep, even a nun turned her in. You can understand her lack of faith in mankind, can't you?

Mom repeatedly told me to be wary of other's intentions and knowingly/unknowingly instilled in me a general distrust of man. She continually pointed out racism, prejudice and hatred whenever she saw it, adding you can not judge a person's character by their outward appearance. Fancy clothes did not make a man. When it comes down to it, you never know what people will really do.

Mom's Alzheimer's disease the last couple of years might have been  a blessing since she couldn't witness the ugliness that is frothing from a large segment of our population. Today's political climate would have terrified her, reminding her of her childhood in Germany. Hate spewing out of mouths of citizens who claim  to be "good" Christians. I can hear my Mom saying, "I told you so..." 

Well, I didn't get chosen to be part of the cast and perhaps I will always wonder what if I had told my Mom's holocaust story and been chosen. Maybe people needed to be reminded about another time in a different country and the effect on its survivors. My last line was a good one. "Remember, you should always Listen to Your Mother."

*Recent footage from a Trump rally. Watch how the young black protester is treated. Shameful.
 Black Protester At Trump Rally


  

1 comment:

  1. Such evil then and evil now. When does it stop?!?! Thanks for sharing about your mom.

    ReplyDelete