Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Goat Jerky, Forget It !

Have you ever heard the Drying Lady speak? Well that's not really her name but I did hear Mary T. Bell present Drying Foods With Attitude at the Wisconsin Master Gardener Association Conference in one of my workshops. I was fascinated by her passion for this food preservation technique that has been around since the beginning of time. Of course they didn't have electric dehydrators then nor was drying done like Natureman and friend Guy leaving tomatoes in a hot car/truck to dry. I don't know about you, but I'd rather not use my car.

Our session was able to taste test her dehydrated fruits and vegetables and I am afraid I'm a goner. Why let all those excess veggies rot at the end of the summer when you could be dehydrating them making dried foods and even make leathers (i.e. fruit roll ups)/ powders?

As part of Mary's session, we sampled a variety of apples, pineapple, dried cantaloupe, watermelon, tomatoes, berries,  just to name a few. Besides doing some sniffing of things like powdered corn, lemon zest, etc., she guided us through the processing and hints. Wow. Impressive how fresh and different the dried foods smelled and looked. 

Mary has been a regular at the Minnesota State Fair for some 20 years and even has written books on the subject of food dehydration. She admits not everybody is ready for everything dried. Dried eggplant was not a big seller at her Farmer's Market in Lanesboro. I think it would be great to have ready for Eggplant Parmesan / Vegetarian Lasagna and not take up freezer space.


 Mary turns on her dehydrator at night and its contents are usually done in the morning when she awakens. It's a good idea to taste test it after it cools and for pieces that are not dry enough, just put them back in. 

Mary and her husband don't do anything halfway. In fact, they are instrumental in creating the Rhubarb Festival in Lanesboro, Minnesota.  This community festival happens annually the first Saturday in June. Besides a terrific fun community event there are  rhubarb food competitions, games, music, vendors and of course, food booths with rhubarb items on the menu.  Even Mary has perfected dehydrated rhubarb.  Of course, there's good incentive as Mary and her husband have 150 rhubarb plants. Have you ever known anybody who had more than 4 plants? Well, I hadn't. I certainly don't need any more plants but I love the idea of not letting food go to waste/ taking up a lot less room. Did you know rhubarb can sell for $2/stalk in some markets?


Anyhow I can't wait. In the meanwhile I'll have some reading to do. I think I'll leave making beef jerky until later on for the End of the Rainbow Valley. And no, there will be no goat jerky Natureman.


Are you game? 

Here are some links: Rhubarb Festival
                                 Jerky Lady
                                   



1 comment:

  1. Ive never dehydrated anything - have no experience in this at all. Haven't purchased many dried items. You're in a whole new world for me.

    ReplyDelete