Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Boom, Boom You're Dead

I totally forgot with Halloween and all that 'tis the season. Hunting season that is. And I  don't mean deer quite yet although Arkansas had muzzle-hunting deer and friend Troy also had been razorback hunting. (BTW He shot a big one and brought home the bacon with some 4ft hunk of a pig.) 


Anyhow, Sunday late am Natureman and I decided it would be wise to get outside while the temps were mild and the sun was out.  We ventured to Goose Island for a walk and some exercise. I had sighted a flock of pelicans which were still hanging around as were thousands of ducks feeding in the backwaters of the upper Mississippi wildlife refuge area. 

BUT it had slipped my mind that the peaceful woodlands walk wouldn't be so peaceful. In the not so far off distance there was the sound of gunfire. Multiples shots echoing through the woods we walked. They sounded way too close. 

One gets a feeling of what gunfire must sound like in the inner city echoing through a neighborhood. Very disturbing. BUT the difference is the refuge is a NO hunting zone and there are multiple signs posted shoreline and along the trails. 

I am really glad the ducks can obviously read and know where the hunters are not welcome to hunt.  I feel sorry for those who venture off and land just beyond its protection...


Natureman informed me that the majority of these ducks were canvasbacks. And I thought that was just a clothing brand :). I have a lot to learn about ducks but I did recognize coots too.


As we arrived at the park island's far end parking lots, there were some 50 trucks parked with empty boat trailers. What a sight! No wonder there was so much gunfire. Their owners already out on the water looking for secluded hunting areas.


It was at the boat ramp where I met Lucy who bounded from her owner's vehicle towards their boat. You see Lucy is a four legged canine. 
She came to an abrupt stop at the shoreline panting heavily until her owner gave her the go ahead to get into boat. She paced inside the boat until her owner put on his waders and joined her in the launch. You see Lucy, now 2 1/2  years old, has been going duck hunting since she was 7 months old.

Her owner added she anxiously awaits these hunting outings all week long.  She obviously loves this as much as her master as he joined her on board and off they went to spend the afternoon keeping each other company hunting until they got their duck limit... 






OK, secretly I hope they got skunked. Hey, the beautiful ducks are just stopping to refuel as they head South for warmer weather.  You see, I don't blame them. They are smarter than me for staying here in Wisconsin in the End of the Rainbow Valley in the winter... Wink, wink. 


1 comment:

  1. Oh the memories. Pete used to be a duck hunter and I'd go with him to sit in the blind sometimes. I was always hoping for a day without success (for him anyway) as I never really cared for the taste of duck and we can't condone hunting without eating the meat. So nice that he's old now and doesn't do any kind of hunting with a gun.

    ReplyDelete