Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Vell, Vhat did you think Vee Did on Christmas?

There's nary a year that goes by that I am not asked what Jewish people do on Christmas. In fact, this year our Rabbi sent out an email saying that a local reporter wanted to interview congregants. She's writing a piece on what people do on Christmas and I guess didn't want to omit the Jews. I don't know what people think we are supposed to do...

You know I can't speak for every Jew but I can tell you what my family does and what a whole lot of other Jewish people do because I have seen them doing what we are doing.

Here have been my family's 3 Christmas possibilities throughout the years:

1. go to the movies
2. go eat Chinese
3. get together with other Jews.

I have included a link to why the Jews eat Chinese on Christmas besides the fact that Chinese restaurants are about the only places open, it's an interesting read from Tablet Magazine ...  Click on the link..

Why eating Chinese on Christmas is a Jewish American Tradition?

"The Hebrew year is 5774 and the Chinese year is 4710. That must mean, the joke goes, that against all odds the Jews went without Chinese food for 1,064 years."

This year Natureman and I went to the movies (Saving Mr. Banks) on Christmas Eve and will spend Christmas day with Jewish friends. I wonder if they'll serve Chinese???

I have to admit we Jews used to have the movie theaters and Chinese restaurants all to ourselves.  Now the times are a'changing and our Christian community is also there ...The parking lots were filled. 

I thought there was no place 'like home' for the Holidays. Hmm, maybe that's why that reporter was writing that article.

Oh VELL, Have a very Merry Christmas with those you love no matter what you are doing...

No comments:

Post a Comment