Wednesday, February 20, 2013

The BEST Kept Secret in Town...

Every February there is an event that is one of the best kept secrets in town... So I am telling you about it ahead of time.  In celebration of Black History Month, the UW-L Black Student Association plans a wonderful evening, Reflections  of Ebony, with great 'soul' food for dinner and wonderful entertainment.

We started attending my first year teaching at UW-L and each year we have watched the evening's attendance grow. And boy do those students get decked out, sharp young men in suits with yummy colored ties and girls in dresses and high heels that take people watching to a new art form. Usually anything goes in La Crosse but let me tell you, Honey, will feel underdressed in jeans!

I swear I read a blurb about the event somewhere but was sure with the play and all the excitement, we had missed the evening.  Then Natureman surprised me yesterday and said while he was on campus, he had seen a flyer for the event and had gotten us tickets.  I have since searched high and low through campus mail, the newsletter wherever and I can't locate the article to share other specifics with you but I did read it somewhere. Anyhow, promises were made that this will be the biggest and best celebration yet. If past events are any indication, you won't be disappointed to be there.

Call university information and request the UW-L Cartwright information desk and ask about tickets. I don't know how many they were selling but I know students used to be free/ if not, they are a minimal cost as it is for community considering, it's a night chock-full of entertainment and dinner.

My mouth is already watering for the cornbread, fried chicken with a good kick, mac n cheese, collard greens/ green beans (with ham bone/ vegetarian) and of course bowls of Tabasco sauce at the end of the buffet line. I may have forgotten what the dessert has been but I can't wait for this Sunday the 24th, Valhalla Hall, Cartwright Center , 6 pm.

Let me know if you're coming.  Be sure to come early and maybe we can all sit together! Some nights I don't mind leaving the End of the Rainbow Valley and Honey child this Southern gal can't wait ...

1 comment:

  1. Yummy looking but not as good as the Indian food I am so craving!

    ReplyDelete