Monday, July 28, 2014

Too Much Theatrical Exposure...

We just returned from a Birthday Weekend in the Windy City.  Chicago besides being a city with amazing architecture and a lot to see and do, great entertainment, wonderful  theater, etc...  







Chicago also has a lot of people, both residents and visitors especially in their downtown area. Today's entry deals about a young Canadian couple.



Those on the14th floor of our hotel if they didn't sleep through it, were witness to this couple's domestic disturbance.  I was awakened early Saturday am by raised voices of a man and woman, there was crying, some pleading, more yelling... and cross my heart, it sounded like the couple was in my room. It was that loud and intense. I lay listening to the words to determine if this argument was way too volatile, debating as to what should I do when finally the male voice became quieter and more reasoning and calmed the female.  Then silence. I mentioned the disturbance the next day to my kids and it also had awakened my son down the hall.  Natureman, who I had thought was sleeping, said he heard it too but once it calmed down, he knew it wasn't in the danger zone.

The next night it happened again. I guess some people have a 3 am pee wake up time but these two come home from the bars at that time and their arguments ensue. Once again, the same argument about flirting and cheating rants on, only this time not only do the voices continue flinging the f* bombs back and forth but the intensity has changed and I am ready to call the desk when one of them, slams the door and storms out down the hallway. Good, go cool off. Quiet. I check the clock and am just dozing off as I was so rattled when not even a half an hour later, whoever had left, returns, obviously too soon as the screaming begins again and the argument is escalating and besides a fist banging on a table, there are loud bumps and things being thrown against the walls and pleading to stop. Now this ending is not going to be good and I turn on the light and call the desk. The recording puts me on hold... On hold? there might not be time... hurry up. Finally, a way too cheery voice answers and I explain there is an out of control argument next door and it is worse than the night before. She assures me security will be sent. It seems like an eternity, no guard, and there is quiet next door. But it is short lived and once again the yelling starts up, followed by a loud knocking interrupting the two. 

I hear the entire conversation as our doors butt up next to each other. The security guard states that there have been numerous disturbance calls regarding the yelling coming from the room, is everything ok? " Oh I am sure you have," says the heated male voice.  "This is what she f*ing does, she starts screaming and crying and runs off... she's probably going to walk the streets barefoot now if I don't go find her." His voice is becoming less angry now. "Officer she's my wife, we got married in October. We are from Toronto. Well, we had been drinking but this hasn't ever happened before. ( Yeah I'm thinking, what about last night?) "We just drank too much." The security guard suggests getting another room. The door closes, opens, shuts, there's a phone call explaining the predicament. Closet noises, hangers, door opens, closes. Quiet.

I lay awake trembling. That was way too close for comfort. This definitely wasn't on my bucket list as there are some experiences I would rather not have. These two definitely need serious counselling. This is one kind of drama that shouldn't ever be experienced even in the theatre district... Way too much drama.


All I have to say is say is boy am I glad to be back to the peace and quiet right here in the End of the Rainbow Valley...

2 comments:

  1. I can understand your concern about the couple next door, domestic violence is the most dangerous call for policeman and anyone else trying to intervene. Having lived an abusive life in my first marriage, I never thought about what it might sound like to anyone else that listened, but we were out in the boonies with no one to hear.
    Did you see Motown the Musical? We saw it in New York while working our way down the east coast last year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did see MoTown the Musical. They don't write music like that anymore.

    ReplyDelete