Thursday, July 31, 2014

The Silent Treatment...

Since I was less than keen to drive into downtown Chicago on a Friday a.m., we boarded a commuter train from a northern suburb southbound to Union Station. Upon my insistence to not get on where all the passengers were waiting to board on the platform, we entered a different car. 

We were travelling with backpacks and a cooler, appearing to be headed to a concert rather than a weekend downtown so we would need some extra space to stash our things rather than trying to sit with all the luggage under our legs. 

We moved a couple of times seeking out the most space in the car. Debated whether to go upstairs, nixed. Finally, Natureman sat down in a senior seat as there was some space next to his seat and I sat across from him. When it was apparent that noone needed the seat next to me, he joined me and we exchanged some comments about the journey. 

At the very first stop the lady in front of us turned around and in a rather nice, hushed voice said, " I don't know if you are aware but there are 2 quiet cars during rush hours and you are in one of them." "Sorry, we had no idea," I responded. She added, " Well, you are not bothering me, but you may be bothering someone else." Natureman and I exchanged glances, me with a questioning look as to whether he could be quiet the duration of the trip. It was a very quiet hour... We finally found a little sign at one end of the car that designated the car as "quiet."



I had to laugh to myself because this was the first time I had ever been with Natureman in 12 years that he didn't utter a word. There was some throat clearing but not one single word. I guess there is a first time for everything... Hey, we all got the silent treatment.

Apparently after a trial period on Rock Island Rail, Chicago's Metra adopted the quiet cars during rush hours on June 6th 2011 to provide passengers who need to work/sleep to do so without distractions. It is always the second car from the front and the end of the train. Just our luck I chose the Quiet car.  



Do you think we should try this at home? 

Nah, big city people need their quiet.  Some thing I don't take for granted in the End of the Rainbow Valley...

1 comment:

  1. I can't imagine you going so long without saying anything and would not have thought it possible!

    ReplyDelete