Thursday, February 27, 2014

Bird's Eye and Not the Vegetables...

Two years ago in March we had unseasonably warm weather with 70 degree days which is not going to be the case this year. In fact, the sub below zero temps have returned with such a vengeance that we are remaining the frozen tundra not only here in the back of the End of the Rainbow Valley but also in town where wet snow on streets that didn't get removed fast enough also turned to ice and that thick ice layer is not going away anytime fast.

With the icy snow covered ground the poor birds are having quite a time finding food which makes it all the more important to keep feeders full, definitely a daily chore. I don't think I mentioned   we've probably gone through about 5 bags, about 250 pounds of sunflower seed and we can't even tell you how many pounds of suet. ( Maybe 10?) 




So it shouldn't come as any surprise that the larger birds of prey are also hungry. Our neighborhood's pair of eagles have been staying closer to the road. A cooper's hawk recently tried to pick off a smaller bird at one of our feeders scaring the bejeebies out of me as he brushed the window. 


Then on my return from town today as I was making the last turn of the 'driveway' before reaching the house, a red tail hawl came flying right at me. That wind span always leaves me in awe but as I continued rounding  the curve another red tail lifted off in the other direction.  There lying  on the road was their dinner/ the remains of what they had been feasting on, a squirrel. Another one bites the dust / should I say has been put on ice?  Hey, it's the law of survival of the fittest. I just hope there's still enough smaller critters so we humans don't start looking like tender morsels...

No comments:

Post a Comment