Monday, November 4, 2013

Dead , Really Dead...

As I headed out Hwy 27 in Monroe County on the El Día de los Muertos ( Day of the Dead) November 2nd I thought to myself I'll just have to stop at the Halloween town, Melvina, population 104, 5 miles north of Cashton,  south of Leon home of the "Witch of Melvina."

I had wanted to post this last Halloween but forgot...
and thought I posted it later but couldn't find it almost like my efforts. I'll explain...

What I discovered was not the sights I had experienced on previous stops.  Let me backtrack. You see one resident, a self professed Druid, Israel Shvhi V. Magdalene Rose, born Laurie Jean, must 'really' like Halloween since she purchased almost an entire block to create her own personal Halloween year round.

Perhaps a bit eccentric and you had to wonder how the neighbors felt, maybe they had something to do with what now remains.... ( hey I lived across the street from the Witch of Fox Point in Milwaukee)

You might say Israel had transformed anything that didn't move into her Halloween palette... but then again even vehicles with wheels were also adorned.  An article written back in' 08 spoke of her desire to have open a mystical store with its profits would going to help needy children in the area. ??? If this came to fruition I have no clue but Israel had lived with 2 wolves as pets who now at home in a wildlife sanctuary and her Russian doberman attacked her and had to be put down. Not that's scary.

Anyhow, this entry will have to be a dedication to the Witch of Melvina since the scenery has changed as I discovered this past weekend. Gone are the vehicles, gone are most of the garish buildings. GONE are the brightly painted trailers. Demolition had begun. Concrete pieces and garbage littered the lots around the remaining buildings and whether strong winds helped topple some of the make shift construction/a wrecking ball/, Holy Ghost Town USA is a mere shadow of what it once was.

My pics from past visits are all that remain of one person's vision of her own personal Días de los Muertos. Long live the memories of one person's dreams albeit a bit out there...











Yep her Mom's estate allowed her to purchase 5 pieces of property on the same block. There must have been money left in the bank safe originally later replaced by a mailbox where donations were accepted.

Whether donations were minimal, the store didn't make it or the townspeople won out/ a combination of all the above, all that remains are some very tired buildings and a mess.

Yep, there's a reason we live in the middle of nowhere right here in the End of the Rainbow Valley...

16 comments:

  1. I had no idea that Melvina had that kind of twist to it, yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this is an old post but I have driven through a few times and didn't understand what happened when the clean up began. It seemed like a series of death traps-she didn't maintain anything. I think that I saw her out on the street once-on metal crutches wearing a gold Christmas garland around her neck. This person gave us dirty looks as we drove past. I guess she was sick of being gawked at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lady is the sweetest person in the world. Don’t let her dirty looks discourage tou

      Delete
  3. It's basically all torn down now. Sad...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed that in August! It was really sad. We had hoped to get photos but it was too late. Nobody believes that it was like that-they really missed out.

      Delete
  4. went by today.always enjoyed it.I suppose the do-gooders got after her.what about her rights????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her rights? What about the rights of the town folk? Those buildings she purchased weren’t maintained and she was a hoarder. So they all were overrun with vermin and rotting around her. They had to be demolished because they weren’t safe because of her neglect. The last time I saw her, she was covered in bug bites and ill. No one should live like that. It was gross, and unhealthy for the properties around her as well.

      Delete
  5. A friend and I drove by this place back in 2000 or 2001 and took a picture. It was white and pink and purple and not nearly as dark and hoarder-like as these photos.. We got the film developed and there were witches in the window that we could swear were not there when we took the photo. I have to see if my friend still has the photo!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A friend and I drove by this place back in 2000 or 2001 and took a picture. It was white and pink and purple and not nearly as dark and hoarder-like as these photos.. We got the film developed and there were witches in the window that we could swear were not there when we took the photo. I have to see if my friend still has the photo!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anything is possible! Especially if you can find old photos! Wink, wink.

      Delete
  7. they finally drove her out.house is gone.staying at salvation army.I wonder who started the fires?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now her daughter is one of those charged in the children held in animals case, the couple Travis and Amy Headrick, the witch was Amy's mom. Odd, Odd, Odd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Witch of Melvina may be considered odd by some but, from what I understand, she herself placed complaints against her daughter. I doubt she was cool with what they were doing to those kids. Just throwing this into the ether.

      Delete
  9. She has now passed away.... Summer of 2021. She was living with a man out towards Mather in a camper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. any more information on her passing? where? when?

      Delete