Monday, March 4, 2013

THE WARRIORS

The original Brownings 
Since the family surprise had to remain a surprise until the day after my arrival,  forethought had me instigate a high school evening get together via Facebook at our Little Rock reunion spot of Browning's Mexican Restaurant.  Despite their remodelling, new menu, messing with already mediocre recipes, the wait staff can't seem to ever get everybody's orders straight/ in a timely manner.  I have to admit that we meet there purely for sentimental reasons. Don't you have a place that you always return to when you go home?

Besides chips and salsa being our favorite thing to order, it also used to be the 'Saltillo Plate' which consists of 2 cheese enchiladas, one beef taco, Spanish rice and refried beans. Now this plate has changed in spiciness and the velveeta like cheese sauce and now there's even a choice of rice and beans hence my choices of lime rice and black beans.

We were a small group with cancellations due to health, family demands/ work obligations.  Some of us went to elementary/ junior/ senior high school / all of the fore mentioned together.


Although a smaller group than usual, the round table was conducive to good conversation and sharing. And as life  has had its way with us we have had to live up to our  high school mascot of the 'Warrior'  in our own rights.  If you've lived almost 60 years loss/health issues have touched your life.

As we spoke of my upcoming shedding of the locks to raise money for St. Baldrick's Kids with Cancer,
http://www.stbaldricks.org/participants/mypage/584092  ( you know I had to throw that in) it turns out  that 2/6 present have battled breast cancer themselves.

I am so glad that we had the evening together as the following days have left me vegging/ dosing on a couch after very full days. Although I must have brought the cold temps with me, it was warm in Browning's that night...





1 comment:

  1. Good to see you arrived safely and are having fun. It sounds like the flight home might not be so good with the bad weather heading in, but I know that whatever happens you will deal with it splendidly.

    ReplyDelete